PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Diet

Severus
08-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I have a Tiger Oscar just over 4" and i would like some input on his current diet. I usually feed him once a day and like twice every other day. Every time he gets fed i give him some larger Omega One Flakes, and larger pellets. Occasionally i throw some Tubifex in there too. And every now and them i give him a bloodworm. Is this an alrite diet for a younger Oscar?? I would like to see him eat some live food, but im worried about diseases and is he even big enough for some feeders? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

William
08-31-2006, 01:21 AM
Live food is not necessary and can as you say introduce diseases.

I would add some shrimps to the diet.

Severus
08-31-2006, 02:08 AM
So for the most part its alrite? thanks for the input and ill add some shrimp

Full3R
08-31-2006, 05:18 AM
yeah, using shrimp as ive found out with my prawns which are basically shrimp, increases the vibrance of there colours greatly too

Severus
08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Sounds good. Thanks a lot for the help

kimmers318
08-31-2006, 11:46 AM
There are also a alot of frozen food selections that are great for the oscars....at least ours think so! We regularly offer beef heart and cichlid delite with their flake, pellets and shrimp.

Severus
08-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Yea i was reading up on beefheart and i want to give that a try as well. Thanks

TehTANK
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I too want to give beefhearts a try. Where do you guys purchase these at and how much do you give them? Does it do anything to the water and how do you prepair it for your oscars? Thanks for the help....I am kind of uneducated about this stuff....

Fishguy2727
11-03-2006, 01:58 AM
I would discourage anyone from using the freezedried shrimp or krill. All too often fish get this and then refuse everything else. For the color improvement from krill you can use foods that are krill based like HBH Super Soft Krill. New Life Spectrum is arguably the best food on the market and helps enhance red colors just like krill. Most aquarists find beefheart to be too messy for longterm use. It isn't as nutritent filled as the high quality pellets and in my opinion it is better to fill them with the most nutritious food you can rather than other things that are not quite as beneficial.

Severus
11-03-2006, 03:40 AM
Yea, speaking of the beefheart i tried it a month back or so, and it was a real mess. My oscar tore at it and it became a big cloud of floating meaty pieces. All the pieces he didnt eat were annoying to pick out too. I think ill stay away from beefheart

kimmers318
11-03-2006, 05:39 AM
I have found that anything we feed our oscars ends up as floaties in the tank...alot of their food comes back out the gills. Plecy happily cleans up whatever falls from them....of course that leaves us with loads of plec poo, but everyone is happy with the arrangement!

Severus
11-07-2006, 03:37 AM
haha yea, i dont really have anyone to clean up after him accept for me. lol.