PDA

View Full Version : Red claw crayfish eggs

bowaquatics
08-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I have owned a single female red clawed crayfish for approximately one month now. She had moulted twice in this time.

I noticed some parculiar behaviour in the last week or so- her tail has been curled right underneath her abdomen and she has been building a wall under her favourite hiding spot.

I checked on her again this morning to see her fanning a large number of eggs on her abdomen.

How long is it likely to be until she releases the eggs? And are they likely to have been fertilised before I got her?

Thanks

bowaquatics

Full3R
08-31-2006, 05:25 AM
it is possible as crayfish can hold sperm for a while and still molt and if it has only been close to amonth it is very likely they are fertilised as i have had this same situation with my aussie spiny tails, itll be up to about 1 - 2 months any time between then is possible if they are like the aussie crayfish make sure there is alot of hiding places for the young crays when they leave the mother as she may eat them, and also if possible move her to another tank when she is done releasing, and if u use a filter that can suck up the babies it is best to turn it off