PDA

View Full Version : Central american biotope

shockshockshad
01-13-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't think I will do the puffer tank. i have heard a lot of things about people being discouraged from puffers, and that they are difficult. I am in the future going to get a 90 gallon or so, hopefully in march, and I like the idea of fish like firemouths, jack dempseys, and such. I have heard of all of these, and I would like to keep them. i know that livebearers are from CA, but they breed too much for me. Here is a link that I got the list from. What do you think would be good for a 75-90 gallon? And what other fish besides those larger cichlids? And I might decorate it with driftwood and rocks, but what else would be in this biotope. No live plants though. Oh, sorry, the link! http://fish.mongabay.com/cichlasoma.htm

Fishalicious
01-13-2008, 01:09 AM
The Snow King Plec - Pterygoplichthys anisitsi is from Central America and works well with larger cichlids...
Or a Gar could be interesting - also from Central America

shockshockshad
01-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks. How big does it get? And does it like groups?

Fishalicious
01-13-2008, 01:30 AM
The Snow King Plec is a loner and means you can't keep any other plecs as he will fight with them... minimum tank size is 90 Gallon as this is a BIG boy.. he loves algae - it is said they can grow to 24"

There is a nice choice of Pleco's though from Central America including the common pleco...

Scrap the Gar.. I thought there was a small species available but they all need at least 200 Gallon

shockshockshad
01-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Oh no, I don't want a gar, the largest fish will probably be a jack dempsey. They get around 8-10 inches right?

YaYgoldFish
01-13-2008, 01:37 AM
From A jack dempsey, Id except about 10 inches. You could go with jack dempseys, convicts, fire mouths, severums, texas cichlids. Probably not all together but, its a small list.

Fishalicious
01-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Yip Dempsey's stay at 8-10 - Electric Blue ones are stunning!!! No other fish are then needed hehehehe they are so beautiful as they are that you don't notice any other fish

shockshockshad
01-13-2008, 01:44 AM
So electric blue dempseys ya say? Well, my mom HATES having only 1-3 fish in a tank, so I guess I can't do that. I said I wanted maybe 1 oscar and 1 dempsey and maybe some loaches in a 75 gallon and said "thats it?" and i said yeah and she said "well, i don't like only a few fish in a tank, why dont you just get a lot of fish, like those colorful cichlid things you were talking about". She meant mbunas. But I want this biotope, so I will just get 1 normal jack dempsey. What about convicts? And are green terrors from CA?
EDIT: I just saw YaYgoldfish's post. Which ones are compatable, and then i can choose a number, and maybe you can tell me if it is a good stock

YaYgoldFish
01-13-2008, 01:54 AM
Trust me, if you show her a picture of EBJD she will LOVE it. Problem woul dhave to be the price, Ive seen them go at 75$ each!

* for the Green terror, I do think they are from CA

As far as compability goes, the fish I mentioned can all go together, except im not sure about the texas. If you happen to get convits and firemouths, make sure not to get a male convict and a female FM, they can and probably will interbreed. Then you have the really mean convict and maybe firemouth. Hes a quick list of what I would probably do in a 90g:

(EB) Jack dempsey, 3 female firemouths, 3 female convicts, and probably a severum and a green terror. You have many more options than what I have posted.

shockshockshad
01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
I just looked at the EBJD, and that is beautiful. If I can find one that is not expensive, I will get it. If not, normal is fine. I like that list of fish. Are there any smaller fish that I could have? i know not tetras, they will be eaten. What about something that schools thats bigger? And for bottom feeders, I will see about that snow king pleco.