PDA

View Full Version : swimming funny...need help!

clemham
01-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I have a jack dempsey swimming funny he's stuck swimming at about 45-70 degree angle with his head down, tail up, i've done a water change and switched food but he's still not right, he doesn't have any sign of ick or anything just swimming head down.

His colors good, i don't see worms in the tank. He does seem to be breathing hard for not really moving around that much.

His eye look normal, the scales aren't sticking out and he doesn't look bloated, the other fish in the tank seem fine, what else could it be?

I am guessing something wrong with his swim bladder, like that he can't empty it and so he's swimming downward to counter it so he doesn't float to the top?

Dave66
01-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I have a jack dempsey swimming funny he's stuck swimming at about 45-70 degree angle with his head down, tail up, i've done a water change and switched food but he's still not right, he doesn't have any sign of ick or anything just swimming head down.

His colors good, i don't see worms in the tank. He does seem to be breathing hard for not really moving around that much.

His eye look normal, the scales aren't sticking out and he doesn't look bloated, the other fish in the tank seem fine, what else could it be?

I am guessing something wrong with his swim bladder, like that he can't empty it and so he's swimming downward to counter it so he doesn't float to the top?

What are your water params? pH, gH, kh, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? How old is the tank? How large is it? Do you treat your tap water before adding it to the tank? What have you added as far as fish or decorations lately? What other fish are in with him?
Dempseys are rock hard tough, so it is likely you have an environmental problem in that tank.

Dave