PDA

View Full Version : Low light plants for sand?

gm72
01-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Thought I'd start a separate thread on this to avoid confusion on my other thread.

How about plants that would do well in sand? I really like vals but I'm not sure they are low light and/or sand-tolerant? Again, the only ferts going in this potential planted tank will be plant tabs. No CO2.

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
The list is the same as with your other list - they grow equally well whether it is sand - rocks - or gravel and the light situation is the same.

In the val's the Vallisneria americana is a low light and it does grow well in sand... just make sure the upper roots are out of the sand or the plant dies - push roots/plant into sand make a half turn and pull it slightly up out of the sand again so the top of the white roots can be seen

XXX

Lady Hobbs
01-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Good tip. I will have to pull mine up a tad then. I buried them a bit deeper than I should have so the fish wouldn't rip them up. I just got 3 shipments of vals in this week and 2 of the 3 aren't looking too hot. Looks as they both got a bit too cold.

gm72
01-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the info, Fish. Lady, sorry to hear your plants aren't doing as well. You and I don't seem to have very good luck with our plants.