PDA

View Full Version : chemical cycle or natural ??

myrph
08-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I am getting ready to put some plants and fish in the 150gal tank, and want to hear some experience on "cycle".. Sounds like it takes a while if you do it with no chemical help.. I've talked to a local pet shop and they told me I could cycle it with chemicals with no ill effects. Anyone try that?
thanks,
Chris

stubbytheplecostomus
08-30-2006, 12:39 AM
there are chemicals that promote algea growth, these are safe to use to speed up the cycling proccess. cycling is essentially a process to setup anarobic bacteria that clean the tank biologically, its essential to have this bacteria to avoid amonia, nitrate and nitrite fluxuations. during the actual cycling process all of these fluxuate before stabalizing, this can cause stress in fish and even kill them. thats pretty much the just of cycling. i would use the algea promoter to speed it up. I have experience with "top fin bacteria supplement" and would recomend it, but i'm sure all the other brands are the same thing. cycling may take a week or two.

William
08-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Chemcial cycling can be good to jump start the process but can never replace the natural cycling. IMHO

octony
08-30-2006, 03:28 AM
It will cycle faster, but not create as great of bacteria colonies or tank seting.

NorthernBoy
08-30-2006, 03:32 AM
Natural all the way. Are you trying to simulate an ecosystem or a artificial chemical system. The more "organic" the better in my opinion.

octony
08-30-2006, 04:06 AM
I go natural too, although I haven't set up a new tank in 6 months.

myrph
08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
I think I will try the natural way and see what happens.. Probably get about a dozen barbs for 150 gal tank.. Sound about right? Can I introduce plants while this is going on?
Thanks for everyones input..
Chris