PDA

View Full Version : Ram Cichlids

JimmyBoy
01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi
I wanted to know what tank set up you need for these cichlids.
My tank (60 litres) has a few plants, 2 ornamental rocks, rough gravel and 5 neon tetra in (but wanting to get a few more). Is this alright to put the Ram Cichlids in or would they encounter problems with anything?
Thanks very much
JimmyBoy

Lady Hobbs
01-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd be a bit worried about the neons with rams, tho. Like all cichlids, they can get testie.

Maybe others here will have a success story of keeping them together.

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 10:27 AM
I personally would not put cichlids in anything less than 80 Liters (20 gallon) as they do need their room and if they spawn the other fish in the tank do not have enough room to avoid them... rams & neons are no problem... only angelfish & largers cichlids cannot be mixed with Neons

Fishguy2727
01-12-2008, 01:44 PM
If you decorate right and provide multiple sheltered areas you should be fine. I would say get a female and let her settle in. If all goes well grab a male. If not, then you only lost one instead of two. The neons should be fast enough to avoid the rams if they breed. Most likely the rams will simply keep them out of the area they decide to breed in. Live plants will help all around.

JimmyBoy
01-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Ok ,thanks very much for your help i have a few real plants so i may give it a go.

Tigerbarb
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I have Cardinals (sort of like neons) and my ram doesn't bother them at all.
I have a ram in my 10g and it loves swimming through my volcanic rocks.
I would also reccomend getting some Tigerbarbs. My ram plays with my Tigerbarbs all the time.

Incredulous_Ed
01-13-2008, 01:16 AM
You could keep a pair in that tank, provided the filtration is good, and there are plenty of hiding places.