PDA

View Full Version : DIY Nano canopy!! (2.5g)..pics!

CAN_chic
01-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Hey guys, after searching the web for any kind of simple wooden nano canopy, I found one! (Thanks to the Plantedtank.net!) Theirs was certainly better, because I dont have the greatest power tools in the world, but I was still able to (safely) build one myself out of some scrap pieces of wood my mom had left over.

Dim: 12 inches long, and 5 inches high
Light: 27w CF light
Plants: very small wendtii (for cycling)
Inhabitants: none at the moment, but soon to be a cherry shrimp home.

I plan to paint the canopy to hide the "boo boo's" haha. I will update later with of course more pics :)

Thanks for looking and any comments welcome!

Drumachine09
01-12-2008, 06:06 AM
It would help with your lighting to buy a cheap mylar reflector.

Also, did the bulb list the color temperature?

cocoa_pleco
01-12-2008, 06:10 AM
SICK! awesome tank!

OscarFan
01-12-2008, 06:57 AM
You could also attach a piece of plexi glass to the bottom

CAN_chic
01-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the quick comments!

The tank itself came with a glass canopy covering, so the light is definitely protected.

The light is also a daylight colour temperature, so 6500K.

I will also definitely be putting in a reflector when I finish it. Its still under construction...so the hardscape and everything will definitely be improved :)

Drumachine09
01-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Good, its in the right spectrum.

Any plans on staining/laquering it?

cocoa_pleco
01-12-2008, 07:03 AM
you could also attatch a mirror to the inside as a reflector

CAN_chic
01-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Im still undecided on whether to stain/laquer or paint...im thinking paint because the wood isnt great due to it being scraps I found in my garage lol

Dave66
01-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Im still undecided on whether to stain/laquer or paint...im thinking paint because the wood isnt great due to it being scraps I found in my garage lol

You'll need to waterproof the wood, as the tank's moisture will warp it, and possibly lead to a electric short and a dangerous situation. I know people who've made their own. They stain it all over and apply Thompson's Water Seal, letting it cure for a couple days before wiring it. Some put on a polyethylene coating as well. I should mention they use polished aluminum reflectors and water resistant end caps.

Dave

Becikeja
01-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Use a good enamel kitchen cabinet paint or outdoor weather paint and you should be fine. Just make sure you use at least 2 coats. If you do stain, I agree, make sure to add a water seal.

CAN_chic
01-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes I will definitely be loading on the coats and water sealing it! :)