PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on??!!

Tooch
01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I did a test 2 days ago on the 30gal, and ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all read good. Water temp was 81.5 degrees. I put Hucklebuck in his new home. I checked the water again last night, and the ammonia and nitrites were both alittle high, so I did alittle over 10% water change. I took special care to get the temp right before I placed it in the tank. The first bucket I added made it 81.3 degrees, and the 2nd moved it to 81.7. I was satisfied with that, so I went to bed. This morning I came downstairs, and Hucklebuck was on his back! I hurried up and gently turned him over with a net, and he was still alive. The temp was at 85 degrees. I was trying to get it to around 84 for the discus that I'm going to put in. I was almost frantic, because I was just walking out the door to go to work... I bought a small pump and airdisk for the tank last night, but figured I would just put it in today after work. Warmer water has less O2 in it right? I hurried up and hooked the pump and disk up trying to get more oxygen in the water. I turned the heater down a little also, not much though. Was this the right thing to do? I didn't know what else to do, so Cara is watching him while I'm at work. Is there anything else I can do but cross my fingers and hope? I don't want him to die

Fishguy2727
01-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Most likely adding him increased the bioload so much that it threw off the balance between bioload and the nitrifying bacteria, hence the ammonia and nitrite. I think the ammonia and nitrite have a lot to do with your problem. Secondly, that quick of an increase in temp may have also done it. Most likely it is a mix of the two that did it.

I was talking with a customer yesterday who just lost her ray. She removed the bioballs from the sump for a little while to clean under them. Apparently it was too long and she lost some of them. There was ammonia one day, the ray had the death curl the next, the day after that it was dead.

Another issue is that in that small of a tank even a little extra ammonia will be concentrated. Since rays need such high water quality it is best to start them in a more stable, larger tank.

Tooch
01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Right now he is the only fish in there... Would the bio-load be that great? It has an established filter on it. The tank is only 30gal, the filter is rated for 80, so that's well over doubling the filter flow rule of thumb... :confused: He's also still very small. Only 4" across. Damnit I'm so upset about this!

Tooch
01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Should I leave work and go home and do a large water change?

Lady Hobbs
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
If your filter is rated for 80, it most likely is only delivering 35 or 40. Filters deliver about half what is stated.

I don't think rushing home will help. Too much shock for him I think.

Tooch
01-11-2008, 02:56 PM
If your filter is rated for 80, it most likely is only delivering 35 or 40. Filters deliver about half what is stated.

I don't think rushing home will help. Too much shock for him I think.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's an emperor 400, the tank is a 29gal. Too much shock? From what? So you think he's a goner no matter what I do? :help:

Tooch
01-11-2008, 06:10 PM
well... Doesn't matter anymore. I left work and took an extra long lunch to drive home and try to take care of him. But, while doing a water change he died. So Cara covered the tank up and called into work and told them I'd be late coming back, and told me she would take care of getting him out and everything. I hate losing pets, and I hate crying over it. lol I think I care more about animals than people

Tolley
01-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm so sorry about Hucklebuck! :(

you did all you could.

fins_n_fur
01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm really sorry that you lost your ray--what a huge bummer :-( I was looking forward to stories on how you were getting on with him, as I'm sure you were for the experiences.

shalafi04
01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Thats terrible. Im sooo sorry about your Hucklebuck. You spoke so highly of him, I know you liked him alot. :(

*hugs*

Tooch
01-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. He was definatly an awesome little guy =( and this really puts a damper on my Discus keeping idea. It's funny, just last night I told Cara I think i want to get another tank and try breeding rays, but I couldn't even keep this one alive....

Fishguy2727
01-11-2008, 11:12 PM
How long was the ray in for?

How was the filter established? (you moved from an established tank how many days before the ray was added?)

Success with many species cannot be determined based on how many die versus live or the fact that the first one died. Most of the best keepers have made their fair share of mistakes.