PDA

View Full Version : Another set of convict questions :D

Demi ^_^
01-11-2008, 09:35 AM
I am getting a tank next week, from 40-56 gallons (It may be a 4ft!) and am deciding on what fish to keep, I have already decided to have 2 Zebra-striped convicts, but I'm having second thoughts on purchasing a 'Jack dempsy' They seem so big!

So now I am thinking of getting a breeding pair of Zebra Convicts (If mum agrees!)

I have also heard about Albino convicts, If I purchased an Albino pair and a Zebra-striped pair of convicts, would they both live in harmony in a tank size listed above? Also would they be able to have thier babies out of eachothers way? Lastly, would their be enough space for a Bristlenose? Thankyou :11:

crackatinny
01-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Personaly I would put nothing in with breeding convicts, they turn VERY nasty at breeding time, my nephew had them in with an oscar, and they even gave it a hard time when they spawned.

Demi ^_^
01-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanx Crackatinny! If it would be better to keep one pair, I am steering towards the Albino's, as they seem very interesting ^_^ Would if I kept an Albino male and Convict female, Visa Versa, would the spawning produce Convicts AND Albino's? Thankyou ^_^

crackatinny
01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Have a look in this thread
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=14386

It does not give a definate answer, but covers my experience as well as what fishguy knows about the xgenetics

Demi ^_^
01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanx again! :11:

I have alot to think about, lol, but I'll manage ^_^ I think I'll have a look at some other cichlids on this site, so I can learn what I really want and what would suit my tank-to-be :11:

Harls
01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Have a look in this thread
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=14386

It does not give a definate answer, but covers my experience as well as what fishguy knows about the xgenetics
thats my post!!

crackatinny
01-11-2008, 10:57 AM
thats my post!!

Thats right, but it saves retyping it, and also gives Demi Fishguys knowledge on the subject.

Demi ^_^
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I just wanted to post this for anyone who wants to know about breeding Convict Cichlids, this website really help's me, so I though I'd share ^_^

http://cichlidresearch.com/simpleaquarium.html

It tells you heaps, even what equipment you definately need to obtain :D I hope I've helped someone who wants information on keeping, breeding and spawning Convicts, enjoy :11:

Incredulous_Ed
01-11-2008, 11:07 PM
You can get a pair of albinos and a pair of striped convicts, and they will be okay in the tank. You could probably keep a bristlenose with them, as well as some danios, or firemouths. Or, if you decide on one pair, an albino and striped will breed together, and I believe you will get 25% albino and 75% striped.

Demi ^_^
01-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Really? Cool! I read on the website I posted that you could keep 2 pairs of breeding convicts aswell ^_^ I have to think about it very carefully though, as I don't want a 'death' as soon as I buy the fish! Has anyone had any experience in having 2 breeding pairs of convicts in 1 tank? :11:

crackatinny
01-12-2008, 01:19 AM
You can get a pair of albinos and a pair of striped convicts, and they will be okay in the tank. You could probably keep a bristlenose with them, as well as some danios, or firemouths. Or, if you decide on one pair, an albino and striped will breed together, and I believe you will get 25% albino and 75% striped.

Not always Ed, when my white and striped spawned, all I got was striped.

As I posted earlier, I would not put anything else in with them, but thats just my personal opinion, if you do decide to, make sure you have a tank divider on hand, in case you need it.

Incredulous_Ed
01-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Not always Ed, when my white and striped spawned, all I got was striped.

As I posted earlier, I would not put anything else in with them, but thats just my personal opinion, if you do decide to, make sure you have a tank divider on hand, in case you need it.
On the genetics thing, it depends on the fish, so it's pretty hard to tell.

Good idea with the tank divider.

Demi ^_^
01-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Thankyou guys, I think I'm going stick with one pair of convicts, either striped or albino and a Britslenose Pleco. BTW It's pretty certain now that the tank I'm going to get is 42gallons, will those above fit? ALSO would their be room for one more bristlenose in that size?

crackatinny
01-12-2008, 05:22 AM
That should be fine, BN are pretty quick, so should be able to stay out of the way, give them something to hide under.

crackatinny
01-12-2008, 05:27 AM
I don't mean to confuse you further, but 42G seems a waste really with convicts, have you considered something you could actually get some money or trades for with the fry, like kribs perhaps.

Believe me, I have had 2 breeding pair of convicts, and you just cant get rid of the young.

Demi ^_^
01-12-2008, 05:28 AM
That should be fine, BN are pretty quick, so should be able to stay out of the way, give them something to hide under.

Thanks for all the help - I really appreciate it ^_^ Now that I'm all set for what I want, I just have to wait! Thanx again everyone!

~ Demi :11:

Demi ^_^
01-12-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't mean to confuse you further, but 42G seems a waste really with convicts, have you considered something you could actually get some money or trades for with the fry, like kribs perhaps.

Believe me, I have had 2 breeding pair of convicts, and you just cant get rid of the young.

Sorry I missed this post.

I just want to experience with some easy fish to breed first up. I will probably breed other fish down the track, but right now, I just want to focus on convicts - I find them absolutely adorable and full of character ^_^

crackatinny
01-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Shame you was not closer, I could give you a breeding pair, every time I seperate a pair, another lot pair up LOL,

Lady Hobbs
01-12-2008, 12:14 PM
If you don't want to get into all the breeding and agression, you could get one and something else.

TowBoater
01-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Ok to ya'll talking about mixing genetics. One of them is going to be more dominate than the other, but it as X is the dominate gen over y. One of the convicts has the gens XX while the other has YY. Two different colors but when they mix, they all turn out XY making them all mixed but the dominate color X shows making it the color of the XX parent.

crackatinny
01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Ok to ya'll talking about mixing genetics. One of them is going to be more dominate than the other, but it as X is the dominate gen over y. One of the convicts has the gens XX while the other has YY. Two different colors but when they mix, they all turn out XY making them all mixed but the dominate color X shows making it the color of the XX parent.

Mate, that is all over my head LOL, same with birds, my mate gets me a pair, he says, they are split this and that, go's straight over my head, I just see what colour the babies are.

With this said, the white convict I have, came from a striped pair my nephew had, they spawned twice while he had them, and there was only ever the 1 white. And you know how many fry convicts have LOL.

TowBoater
01-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Lol yes there is sometimes some that are not the way you plan and these are called mutations. There is several other types of mixes that the colors are blended and such but I forgot, it's been over a year since I learned this. But to what I was talking about, think of a plus sign ok? Or well here...

X is dominate Y is submissive

Y Y
------------------
X l XY XY
l
X l XY XY

Lady Hobbs
01-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Black is generally the dominate color. Like a blond and a burnette will generally have dark haired children. A black and white couple with have black kids. Dark eyes are also dominate over blue.

Not as scientific as Kuli but my humble explanation.

crackatinny
01-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Black is generally the dominate color. Like a blond and a burnette will generally have dark haired children. A black and white couple with have black kids. Dark eyes are also dominate over blue.

Try to tell my wife that Hobbs, I am Aboriginal by descent, my wife is full on white, so technically, I SHOULD be dominant, hell no, not in this household:wink2:

Demi ^_^
01-12-2008, 01:09 PM
I understand the genetics a bit, as I have done a bit of breeding with my other pets (Rats!) Okay so let me think for a second, lol.

Convicts:

XX - Black
YY - White
XX + YY = XY <-- Black in colour but carries white gene.

So then if you bred one of the XY convicts to a white you would get:

X Y
Y l YX YY
Y l YX YY

50% Black - carries white gene. 50% white.

Is that right? :11:

TowBoater
01-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes and if you breed a full black to a mixed black you get 50% full black, 50% Mixed. Two mixed will give you 1 full black 2 Mixed black, and 1 full white.

Demi ^_^
01-13-2008, 03:46 AM
Interesting! Um, so if I bred a black convict with a white convict and they had babies, could a baby breed back to its mum or dad?

TowBoater
01-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Yes but I don't recommend it, I would get two pairs in two separate tanks and breed their offspring.

Demi ^_^
01-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Because breeding a father/mother convict to its offspring would be 'inbreeding' wouldn't it? What does 'inbreeding' actually do to the spawning?

I'll have to see what I want to do *_* My 'piggy bank' is low at the moment, LOL.

TowBoater
01-13-2008, 04:12 AM
It's just in moral, that isn't inbreeding, the right characteristics may not show up in that but there shouldn't be any mutations or anything.

Demi ^_^
01-13-2008, 04:43 AM
Oh, I see, thankyou!

:11: :11: :11:

Hailey
01-13-2008, 05:28 AM
I have convicts. I used to have a community tank, but didn't do any research untill after I got them. They killed everything in my community tank. Even plecos and snails! Once you have convicts you'll always have some. I am waiting to get another tank so I can inally have a community tank again. Convicts just get too mean.

Pr0eve
01-14-2008, 12:54 AM

not to get off subject, but it can and does skip, my wife has black hair and brown eyes. and both of my kids came out blond and blue eyed like me lol...

but I know what your saying and it is true..

TowBoater
01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Humans are mixed and their characteristics are all messed up, you never know how they will turn out.