PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Molly Fry

Severus
08-28-2006, 08:17 PM
So today i was in my LFS looking around at all the fish and when i came to the Molly tank i noticed one little Black Molly fry swimming around with the other larger mollies. I thought he might have been the only survivor left so i asked the women if i could have him, she said sure and scooped him out for me then i noticed a few other fry had buried themselves under the rocks. I guess to avoid being eaten. So i asked if i could have the others too and she said sure. So in total i have 5 Black Molly fry. I offered here a couple bucks for them but she wouldnt take it. Soo anyway being as i have no experience with fry of any kind i was wondering what i could do to give them the best chance at life. I crushed up a tropical flake into tiny peices and put it in their tank. Should i go out and buy some liquid fry food or like some Hikari Micro Pellets. Are there any specific tank conditions i should adhere to?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

William
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Keep the water clean and perhaps add some salt as that is beneficial for black moillies. You can feed the fry crushed flake.

Severus
08-29-2006, 02:48 AM
Thanks a lot for the input William. Ill put some salt in tomorrow

William
08-29-2006, 03:19 AM
no prob. glad to be able to help.

Severus
08-29-2006, 03:53 AM
You seem very knowlegeable and ill probably have a few questions every now and then, im counting on you. haha

Full3R
08-29-2006, 03:57 AM
i never managed to breed mollies i could breed platties, guppies but never mollies, i really wanna breed ballon mollies but need to find room for them

octony
08-29-2006, 06:13 AM
I used to breed black mollies before I had convicts. Feed small amounts of powder flake about 8 times a day, keep temperature about 78 - 80, add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons, and do water changes DAILY (add salt to new water when added).

I also feed hard boiled egg yolk. Just hard boil an egg and take the yolk out, add water to it until it becomes a paste. Next use a toothpick to scrape out SMALL amounts (avoid chunks) of paste and then swirl it in the water. Protein clouds will form and they will swim though and eat it. This will trigger fast growth. Feed this 2 -3 times a day in SMALL amounts.

You can also feed shredded lettuce one they grow a bit.

In about 4 - 6 months they should be an inch or longer.

Severus
08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the help, im gonna try the hard boiled egg yolk right now.

William
08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
I'll be here 100qw.

octony
08-30-2006, 03:32 AM
Let me know how it works.

Severus
08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
The egg yolk worked great. I could see them eating the tiny little pieces, it made a decent sized cloud and it appeared that all of them got some food. Thanks

octony
08-30-2006, 03:15 PM
No Problem.

Glad to know it worked. I hope you raise some healthy mollies.