PDA

View Full Version : Do my plants need "sleep"?

PUNISHER VETTE
01-11-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't have fish in my tank yet so was wondering if i could leave my lights on more to increase the growth time of my plants. Everyone says 10ish hours of light for tanks but thats mostly for the fish right?

I can also see algae growing more but...

I'd set the timer to go off around the time i try to go to sleep but once asleep i can set it to turn back on and i shouldn't notice.

Algenco
01-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, yes, running lights longer doesn't make up for low wattage. Stick with 10hrs

Fishalicious
01-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Plants shut down at night - if you have plants like cabomba for example you will actually see them close up at night...

More than 10-12 hours for plants is far too much and is just asking for algae problems.

Stick to the routine you will with fish in it and the plants will get into that rythm as well.

Sasquatch
01-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Depends on what you want out of your plants. If you just want them to grow, they should be able to handle 24h/day of light. But you might have a big algae problem too.

Depending on the type of plant though, you need to have a certain light/dark cycle for them to complete their life cycles. You'd have to check for each kind of plant and see if it requires a certain photoperiod to produce flowers/tubers and other reproductive structures.