PDA

View Full Version : Substrate

Tooch
01-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Now that we're getting closer to filling our 280gal tank, we're starting to think about what to fill it with. I have a ray which will eventually end up in there, so the river rock that we have in our 150gal won't cut it. My fiance wants to use sand, as would i because it looks great! But, as we all know an Oscar will move whatever he wants to wherever he wants. This includes the substrate. Is there sand out there that won't cloud the water when he wants to move it around, or am I forced to fill an 8ft tank with fine gravel?

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
ive found that geosystem sand by hagen will not cloud, and a big bag is $20. sand is best for the ray since they like to bury in it

Treerat
01-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Do fish like an Oscar really need substrate since they range all over the tank?

Algenco
01-28-2008, 02:22 AM
If the sand is clean when you put it in it won't cause cloudy water if moved around. I recommend pool sand grade 20, good sized grains and very clean, $8-10 per 50#

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Do fish like an Oscar really need substrate since they range all over the tank?

few fish really "need" substrate, rays need it to bury in and corys need it for food scrounging. however, a oscar doesnt need substrate. just a warning, most bare bottom tanks look ugly

country_boy454
01-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I used sand blasting silica sand in my 42 hex and I am very pleased with the outcome. I gave it a rinse to clean it, which did not take very long. It settles very quick even when stirred hard! Best of all I got 100 lbs for $7.