PDA

View Full Version : My First Oscar Tank

kitten3326
01-10-2008, 02:54 AM
We are setting up a new oscar tank, it is 100 gallon tank with cichlid substrate, there are a few caves as I have some bottom dwellers all ready from my community tank. The tank is fully cycled and I am maintaing my cycle with my community fish until I decide exactly what I want. We have wanted oscars for quite sometime however our closest LFS is over 450km one way, so lots of reseach before I make my final decision. I will let you know the I like and then we can decide what will go well with the oscar. I realize I can't get everything on my list but here goes!

1 or 2 oscars, I heard one is best
2 severums
convicts
firemouths
green terror
acara

do malawis go with oscars, what about peacocks what is your opinion on blood parrots, I have been on several sites and I keep getting conflicting information. Also I have 2 striped raphaels can I house these guys with the oscar or will I move them to the community tank.

I don't care for silver dollars, they seem to come up on a lot of sites.

I would love to have some color in there but want my oscar to be the centerpiece fish and do I need dither fish

thanks in advance

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2008, 02:59 AM
a bloodparrot would work, no peacocks or malawis. the raphaels should be okay with them. your list sounds good, i have all in your list plus more in my 90g

(a oscar, pacu, convict, needle fish, blood parror, green terror, jack dempsey, pleco, african knife fish, upside down catfish, etc)

kitten3326
01-10-2008, 03:00 AM
I couldn't put all of these in a 100 gallon could I
?

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2008, 03:01 AM
from your list you could have the oscar, severum, firemouth, green terror, and acara. my list is really overstocked and some of the fish are getting moved to a 125g

kitten3326
01-10-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks for your help, would one put a blood parrot with a green terror and leave off the acara or would the former be better?

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2008, 03:07 AM
do you mean could the green terror, BP, and acara get along? if so they should as long as theyre about equally sized

kitten3326
01-10-2008, 03:17 AM
okay so in my tank could I put 1 oscar, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 Green Terror, 1 blue Acara, 1 firemouth and 1 severum. How does that sound and would they all get along. I hope I am not being to confusing:22:

Fishguy2727
01-10-2008, 03:18 AM
Many of the cichlid sands I see are for rift lake cichlids and alter the pH and hardness. What sand are you using exactly?

I would do one or two oscars (two should be fine as long as you grow them up together). I think green terrors may be the best bet. 3 or 4 cichlids total should be easy to deal with.

kitten3326
01-10-2008, 03:25 AM
It is called caribbean black sand, guaranteed not to intervere with the ph, the LFS told us it was perfect for a Oscar tank. It better be or he is going to one sorry guy, took awhile to set up and is now cycled just waiting to add my guys.

Ocellatus
01-10-2008, 07:56 AM
thats nice,
but i would prefer to have something like these: 1 pair of severums, 1 pair of green terrors, 1 pair of BPs.

TowBoater
01-10-2008, 12:27 PM
1 oscar, Pair of severums, and 1 acara is what I would go for, that would be beautiful

Tooch
01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Right now I have an Oscar, a Convict, and a Green Terror all living together in my 150. The colors are great, as they are so spread.

Fishguy2727
01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Good. Although 'Carribean' makes me skeptical, it should be good. If you can double check your pH and double check that information with the company online.

Ocellatus
01-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I forgot it should be an oscar tank :hmm3grin2orange:
1 oscar, pair of green terrors, pair of severums.

Tooch
01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Here's my understand, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want more than 1 oscar, you should have 3. Reasoning behind that is if you get 2, and 1 falls behind the other will relentlessly pick on it. With 3, they spread the aggression out. Is this correct information?

Fishguy2727
01-10-2008, 04:13 PM
No, not necessarily. One falling behind with three in the tank means there are two beating on it. You may need to start with 3 or 4 if you want to end up with two. Either way, all of the cichlids need to be in there when they are all small so they all grow up together. Adding a fish to an established cichlids usually ends up with a dead or needing to be removed new fish, even if it is larger than all the other fish in the tank. It is natural animal behavior that the resident usually wins a fight with a new individual.

kitten3326
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help, I guess my biggest worry is overstocking my tank, It is only 100 gallon and these are big fish. So I am definetly getting 1 oscar, and 1 green terror, now I would love 1 parrot and 2 severums, could there be any more? :c4: Would I be pushing the limits with 1 blue acara and 1 firemouth?

And thanks for the info on the sand, I called the LFS where I bought it and was told the name of the sand, looked it up online and sure enough wrong kind for the fish I want. Called the store explained my sitituation and was told they would ship me the right sand for no charge. This however makes me angry as my tank is cycled.

Therefore when new sand arrives I will package the old substrate in netting and seed my tank, hopefully will not take too long to cycle AGAIN?

Trying to do everything perfect, I don't want any problems when my fish come home.

Thanks again.

Fishguy2727
01-11-2008, 02:21 AM
You don't need to keep any of the old sand, there will be almost no nitrifying bacteria on it. Almost all of the nitrifying bacteria will be in the filter media so as long as you don't mess with that it should not be thrown off too much.

kitten3326
01-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Thank goodness that is good to know, but I thought alot of the bacteria is in the sand or gravel, am I wrong? I would rather get rid of the sand, and just put in the new stuff, and be done with it.thumbs2:

Fishguy2727
01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Bacteria will live where there is the most oxygen and nutrients. This means surface area and flow. That will be in the filter. Just like people will not spread out evenly, but clump together around resources (such as water), bacteria will not simply spread out indiscriminately. The nitrifying bacteria will live where it is best for them. In our tanks that is in the filters.

onesimus
01-14-2008, 03:03 PM
i would go with 2 oscars and 2 severums and 2 jack demps, with the dempseys being the smallest, for me i always had to work at feeding green terrors because the oscars and jacks always hog the food

Tooch
01-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Wow... My terror is a HUGE hog! He's about a third of the size of the Oscar, but he's really fast, and if you don't get out of the way, you get splashed when he eats!

kitten3326
01-15-2008, 01:21 AM
I think I have made up my mind, I think 1 oscar, 1 green terror, 1 blue acara, 1 parrot, and 2 severums, how does that sound.