PDA

View Full Version : Substrate

HerrWolfe
01-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Can you have gravel as a substrate and still have plants?

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2008, 01:27 AM
yep, for most basic and intermediate plants

HerrWolfe
01-10-2008, 01:43 AM
will Mystery Snails eat plants?

richberstler
01-10-2008, 02:03 AM
Most snails including Mystery will attempt to keep your dead vegatation under control. Some others will attack live plants, but most are usually looking for the dead parts (which will keep them from rotting in your tank) and the algae on the plant itself.

I'm a firm believer there is never a situation of 'too many snails' due to their health providing aspects to the tank water.

You will be able to tell if a snail is helping or attacking by looking at the "rim" of the part they eat. It will usually be the brown parts.

HerrWolfe
01-10-2008, 02:06 AM
ok, thanks. I dont currently have any live plants (just silk plants) and i dont think i will get any. they look extremely difficult to care for, and i cant really afford to buy chemicals and stuff for them. but thank you for easing my curiosity.

richberstler
01-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Also forgot to add in, if you can find flourite to layer below the stones it can be of great service. Just be ready for the cloudy water it will first generate.

I use a mix (stone over flourite) and occasionally add Seachem Flourish and my 'simple' plants do very well. Lighting would be something else to think about, as I currently am.

My Cabomba is a mix bag of replies, but it seems in the current situation of 1 w/g it has mostly struggled. Java Moss, Ludwiga, Hornwort, and a better part of my Anacharis is doing well.

Hope that all helps.

HerrWolfe
01-10-2008, 02:12 AM
i have a 29 gallon tank and the light it came with is only 20 watts...is this sufficient for most plants? And i already have the gravel in the tank, so can i still add plants without adding flourite? And what chemicals and equipment do i have to buy to grow plants? And what is Seachem Flourish?

richberstler
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
i have a 29 gallon tank and the light it came with is only 20 watts...is this sufficient for most plants? And i already have the gravel in the tank, so can i still add plants without adding flourite? And what chemicals and equipment do i have to buy to grow plants? And what is Seachem Flourish?

in general i'm told you would need at least 1 w/g (watt per gallon) for very easy plants, but would be better off to have more. I'm currently on the hunt for my own upgrade becasue I'm a little over 1w/g and my Cabomba isn't doing so well...

Don't worry about the flourite, it's a bonus feature I went with to help the plants but it's not needed.

Seachem Flourish is a bottled chemical mix to help add nutrients to the water for your plants. It's just the name brand suggested to me which I bought. Any type of fert will help, but if you are also keeping fish, their waste will help add nutrients.

The more perks you have will help but not always needed. I did notice my plants got well real quick after I introduced them when I started adding the ferts.

Many others suggest CO2 pumps, but I don't use them. Probably needed more if you decide to heavily plant the tank.

HerrWolfe
01-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Ok, thanks. Cna you reccomend some easy floating plants and others that are very easy? I need them to breed my Gouramis.

Dave66
01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
My Cabomba is a mix bag of replies, but it seems in the current situation of 1 w/g it has mostly struggled. Java Moss, Ludwiga, Hornwort, and a better part of my Anacharis is doing well.

Rich,
Gotta have 4 wpg full spectrum and good substrate (Co2 is also helpful) is you want to keep stems like Cabomba. I suspect you have C. caroliniana, since it is by far the most common in shops. Its also the easiest Cabomba to grow. Plant the stems about two inches apart so the light reaches the whole plant. They'll grow into a tight bush in time.
I keep caroliniana, aquatica and furcata in my 75 planted. Over them is a 260 watt JBJ Formosa DX with 6700K PCs, and a 40 watt All Glass (aka el cheapo) strip light. Co2 is 30 ppm. The substrate is a layered mix of potting soil, laterite, small grade pea gravel and a little black sand. I also use a subsurface low wattage cable heater to keep warmth and nutrients flowing.
If you can manage the lighting and substrate, caroliniana is dead easy to grow.

Dave

richberstler
01-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Ok, thanks. Cna you reccomend some easy floating plants and others that are very easy? I need them to breed my Gouramis.

If you can find it, try hornwort. With my weak lighting it seems to have already have taken over my shrimp tank.

Dave, thanks. There were a couple people on AC which had success with lower lighting, but since I found Cabomba (I believe it to be Carolina) for so cheap I took a stab lol... I'm still researching the most economical way to upgrade my 20 long for more watts so the ones left can thrive.

Dave66
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
If you can find it, try hornwort. With my weak lighting it seems to have already have taken over my shrimp tank.

Dave, thanks. There were a couple people on AC which had success with lower lighting, but since I found Cabomba (I believe it to be Carolina) for so cheap I took a stab lol... I'm still researching the most economical way to upgrade my 20 long for more watts so the ones left can thrive.

Rich,
I was l lookin' at the livestock in that 20. When you do upgrade your lights, drop in a couple floating plants for the hatchets' and cories' sakes. Neither like the high lights, and will hide from them. Water fern or similar floating will keep them out and about. A retrofit kit would be the easiest (and cheapest) way to upgrade your lights, but you have to be electrically handy to go that route. T5 tubes would give you the most bang for your buck.

Dave

richberstler
01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Actually that is my 20high. and it is half covered with floating plants.

The 20 long only has black neon tetras. I was looking at the coralife T5 VHO (75w), check out my other thread
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=14006

maybe u can answer my question there. thx man