PDA

View Full Version : Good filter set-up for guppy fry

ryno
01-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey everyone, I have a 10 gallon with a couple guppies in and a 5 gallon that I plan to use for the fry. What I was wondering is what would you guys suggest for a filter. I'm planning on using a sponge filter, but they require pumps don't they? What brands would you suggest I look at. I'd like something relatively quiet since the aquarium will be in my bedroom.

Thanks.

Dave66
01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey everyone, I have a 10 gallon with a couple guppies in and a 5 gallon that I plan to use for the fry. What I was wondering is what would you guys suggest for a filter. I'm planning on using a sponge filter, but they require pumps don't they? What brands would you suggest I look at. I'd like something relatively quiet since the aquarium will be in my bedroom.

Thanks.

Sponge filters are best for fry tanks, as any power filter can be too strong for them, and they end up dead and stuck to the strainer. All you need is an air pump to run the sponge. You're aiming for a air bubble a second or so. Good air pump is quiet, especially if you put it on a soft sponge or foam. Whisper makes decent little air pumps.

Dave

GuppyFan
01-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I agree. A sponge filter is the way to go. However, if you don't mind "old school" the little corner filters that everyone used to have make a great filter for smaller tanks and for fry. Whisper makes about the best air pumps that I'm familiar with. You can check ebay and Aquabid for some great filter bargains.

Halelorf
01-16-2008, 02:57 AM
I love sponge filters, they are a great way to add a good amount of biological filtration. The kind I use can be found at this link

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp19170/si1379360/cl0/lustarhydrospongefilter5

The number 5 is about 6 inches in diameter and about 5 inches tall and the weighed bottom part is probably about 2-3 inches tall to give you some dimensions. Very cheap to start up and run and perfect for a fry tank, what more can you ask for?

gm72
01-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Easy to make your own, too!