PDA

View Full Version : petSmart

MercCougar
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
has anyone seen the bulbs they are selling at petsmart. If so do they work?

Dave66
01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
has anyone seen the bulbs they are selling at petsmart. If so do they work?

If they are what I think they are selling, they are Aponogeton bulbs, though a few might be water lilies. In the 80's they were in a little package called 'mystery bulbs'.
If they are fresh, a percentage of the plants will grow, if the light in your tank is sufficient. If you look at the first part of my bulb plant primer, the first section is about keeping Aponogetons properly.

Dave

kkevvy
01-13-2008, 04:47 AM
I used some from petsmart before. All but 1 grew, and I still have one of them, and this was over 2 years ago. It jsut takes awhile.

karbomb
01-20-2008, 11:26 PM
i got a packet before and only 1 of the 5 didn't grow.
two were water lillies that did very well for a while and then died down. i still have them and they have little tiny leaves on them but they haven't grown back the way they once did.

hpt84
01-21-2008, 06:27 PM
i got a packet before and only 1 of the 5 didn't grow.
two were water lillies that did very well for a while and then died down. i still have them and they have little tiny leaves on them but they haven't grown back the way they once did.

I read this in freshwater for idiot, you can take the dying bulb and put it in moist soil for 3 month and it should go back to it old glory. Apparently Aponogeton need a resting period.