PDA

View Full Version : sick mbuna

todaie12
01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
One of my mbuna's is sick. I was wondering what I can do to help her and What is wrong with her. Her name is big Momma. I have some pics. of her. http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc30/todaie/th_IMG_20080109_0605.jpg:help: :help:

todaie12
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc30/todaie/th_IMG_20080109_0605.jpg:

Tooch
01-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I can't get either of the links to work...

todaie12
01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc30/todaie/IMG_20080109_0605.jpghttp://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc30/todaie/bigmamma.jpg
Sorry Try this one

fishy girl
01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
hi there what are your levels the size of your tank, and what are their daily diets likew

todaie12
01-09-2008, 06:24 PM
My water levels are 0 p, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate, They are feed cichlid pellets, cichlid flakes, and some maet sticks.

fishy girl
01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
I would not feed malawi's meat sticks, what size is your tank and how many malawis are in there, are they haps or mnunba, what type of filitration do you have? how often are your water changes and how much do you do? I know these seem like a lot of questions, but all important to know exactly how we can help. The reason I would not feed meat sticks, is because they are mostly herbivore, Meat sticks once in a blue moon, but only as a treat? We will be able to help you effectiviely, if given all the information we need. Thanks

todaie12
01-09-2008, 06:35 PM
My ph is 8 the tank is a 44 gallon. 23 mbunas. aquatech 60 gal hob filter. I do atleast 50 per once a week. Any help would be great. Thank you.

fishy girl
01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
looks like a bacterial infection to me, I would not do to much just yet, see what some of the other members think. However I think you are a bit overstocked for 44 gallons, most 44 gallons are either corner tanks or bow fronts, corner tanks have very little surface area, however there are people who are told to overstock there mnumba tanks to cut down on aggression. Is there anything else in your tanks besides the malawis, no bottom feeders. I think I would try doing at least 2 weekly water changes, maybe 20 percent each time, cichlids are well known for being messy fish and attention has to be paid to water quality.

:ezpi_wink1:

todaie12
01-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks, I have her in tank by herself right now. The other fish seem to be fine for now. I don't have any bottom feeders in that tank. I give the gravel a really good cleaning every week. It is a corner tank.

fishy girl
01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
why did you put so many in a 44 gallon were you told to overstock to that degree

todaie12
01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I was told to over stock by that much, from someone that keeps mbuna. I was told you have to over stock by that much to cut down on the aggeratrion.

fishy girl
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
I see, I don't belive in telling people they have done wrong, however I would not put that many in a tank that size, alot of the malawi's will reach a potential size of 6-12 inches depending on they types you have, when and if that happens they will not have room to turn around. This is an unhealthy life for them is there anyway you could put half in another tank the same size, or maybe rehome half of your population to make your tank a healthy one, unfortunately with that many in a tank that small your problems are probably just beginning I wish I had better news for you. If this is a bacterial infection I would try no feeding them for a few days to purge thier intestenial track and flush there systems, I have had mnumba for many years and find they can go without food for up to 5 days to purge thier systems. If they get hungry they will snack on algae in the tank. I hope this helps you a bit, and I hope you have good luck with your tank

todaie12
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
they will be going into a 55gal. I just can't say when for sure. It will be after we get some Christmas bills paid off. Thanks for the help. I was thinking about put another filter on them. Do you think that would be a good idea?

plow
01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
My ph is 8 the tank is a 44 gallon. 23 mbunas. aquatech 60 gal hob filter. I do atleast 50 per once a week. Any help would be great. Thank you.

from this I would guess your filtration probably isn't enough for the anmount of fish you have in quite a smallish tank.

Im no expert and I dont recognise what specifically the problem is with this fish but in general if the water quality is a bit poor, it will increase stress levels then sickness (of some kind) is normally the next thing that happens.

prevention is better than cure and from what I have read from other peoples aquariums that do really well, you have a lot of fish in a small tank with minimal filtration. You have such a fragile balance with everything when you are pushing the boundaries of filtration and overstocking in a smallish tank. Water quality parameters can fluctuate all over the place so much easier with the loading you have on the small amount of water.

Adding more filtration would help in my opinion. Even with a 55 gallon which I will be setting up for malawis in the very near future I was told that 15 mbunas is kind of pushing it.

Just too much stress for both system and the fish it sounds like to me.

todaie12
01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Well big Momma is still alive and kicking. She is fighting back hard.
Thanks to everyone for all the help.
If anyone wants to help and they don't want to post a message. You can pm me. That would be great thanks.:help:

Coler
01-14-2008, 02:14 AM
, alot of the malawi's will reach a potential size of 6-12 inches depending on they types you have, when and if that happens they will not have room to turn around.

no mbuna will hit 12 inches...some of the deep water haplochromines get close but a standard mbuna species is going to be around 5 inches at maturity.

I'd be interested in knowing the species stocked and male/female ratio, but 20 plus in a 44 sounds like overdoing it even for mbuna.

The pic looks to me like a fungus, or possibly a wound which is infected. Treatment would be keeping the water pristine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate below 10) and try a melafix/pimafix mix for a week to 10 days.

That said, with that many fish in there you are likely going to be dealing with a lot of health issues brought on by stress. a stressed fish has a much weakened immune system and picks up disease/infections very easily.

todaie12
01-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help, but my mbuna didn't make it. She died about two days again. It was very sad and the tank looks like someone is missing. She was one of our favors. Everyone one else seems to be doing fine for now.

Dixie
01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Awww I'm so sorry about your loss. I only read this post today, not that I could have helped Big Momma anyway. What I thought when I saw the pic was that it looked liked she had got stuck in a cave or castle opening and scraped off some of her scales trying to pull out. Is that possible? Maybe take a look at the things in your tank and make sure that all the openings are big enough for all of your fish. To late for Big Momma but might save another fish, if that could be the case. Good luck with the rest of your fish. Would love to see a pic of them.

shalafi04
01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Im sorry she didn't make it. I was routing for her. Do check the tank to make sure it is completely safe, we wouldn't want you to have to lose anymore. :(
*hugs*

todaie12
01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys, I'm really not sure what it was. First I thought it was a parasite, then maybe a burn because she was always up around the heater. She might of gotten stuck in one of the caves. The tank does have to be redone badly.
It could have been any number of things.
Everyone else is fine. So I'm hoping it wasn't a parasite.
I'm going to redo the tank right now. Move some caves around. Fix the sand and then watch them redo everything I just finished doing. I love watching them. :luxlove:

fishy girl
01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I am truly sorry to hear about your fish, feel better, and put on a happy facethumbs2:

valdega
02-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Definitely looks like a bacterial infection to me. You've probably been over-feeding. It's an honest mistake but it's the number one killer of fish. Too much food can lead to all kinds of bacteria, and all kinds of illnesses. You only need to feed your fish one type of food and only once a day. Perhaps the meat sticks are the culprit.

There are medications at your LFS for bacterial infections. But I wouldnt use any of them (especialy those with malachite green which is basically copper, and you are poisoning your fish with heavy metals every time you use it). Do a significant water change, replace your filter, and cut way back on the feeding for a few days. Keep your fingers crossed. I learned the hard way that the best way to fix an aquarium is to clean it and just leave it alone.

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2008, 07:30 AM
this is a old thread

plow
02-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Definitely looks like a bacterial infection to me. You've probably been over-feeding. It's an honest mistake but it's the number one killer of fish. Too much food can lead to all kinds of bacteria, and all kinds of illnesses. You only need to feed your fish one type of food and only once a day. Perhaps the meat sticks are the culprit.

There are medications at your LFS for bacterial infections. But I wouldnt use any of them (especialy those with malachite green which is basically copper, and you are poisoning your fish with heavy metals every time you use it). Do a significant water change, replace your filter, and cut way back on the feeding for a few days. Keep your fingers crossed. I learned the hard way that the best way to fix an aquarium is to clean it and just leave it alone.

this is great advice..

advice like this can never be too late. :thumb:

todaie12
02-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys for all your help.thumbs2:

RainMan
02-20-2008, 10:46 PM
The old thread comes to life trick. LOL

I'm curious now... it was a month since your loss. How is everyone else doing? Do you still have the same 20+ fish? How long have you had all of them?

Did you change any of your feeding habbits or increase your filtration?

todaie12
02-20-2008, 11:16 PM
I did do a couple of things. I don't feed them as much and I add an extra filter.
I lost 2 more red zebras. I'm down to one now.
I'm actually down quit a bite
1 artus
1 red zebra
2 Peacocks
3 yellow labs
6 kenyis
I now know you shouldn't mix, but I got them when I didn't know anything. I just keep an eye on them and make sure no one is getting picked.
I got them last oct.

RainMan
02-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the update... I was actually thinking you were going to lose some more fish. I'm really sorry about that. It always sucks when that happens. At least you are learning something. :) But, I hate to say it, and I'm not trying to jinx you either. But, if you keep your tank with that many cichlids... for more than a year. You'll probably loose a few more. They will tire of their confines and nature will balance out.

I really hate this overstocking fish theory. I've never heard of this until I started looking in forums. Who made that crap up? What happened to stocking the right amount?? I always tend to go a little overboard with an extra fish or 2. But, then I work hard at keeping all of them alive. I've only lost 3 fish in the past 5-10yrs. I'm no expert... but, I think that's saying something. I also think ahead and realize my fish will be between 3-6" in a year or 2... People should plan for the future more. The LFS's don't educate people on that enough. Probably because the more fish they kill the more people buy them. Or maybe they don't expect most people to keep their fish that long??? :(

I don't over worry about mixing fish... There are some limitations. But, I have had a motley crew of fish too. Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't. The important thing is not to be stubborn... if you notice a problem. Acknowledge and accept it. Then deal with it. Remove the fish that don't belong or are getting beat-up. It didn't mean you failed... it just means you tried something that didn't work. If you can't setup another environment for them... find them a new home. Most fish stores will help you out (just don't expect a return on your investment). :) I try to imagine the next owners will be great fish parents. That's a good way to feel good about your decission and not feel like you are giving up or abandoning them. It can be tough. But, eitherway... stressed fish won't make it. So, at least you're giving them another chance.

I'm currently learning (the hardway) that 10 maturing cichlid is too much for my 45g tank. A 55g would've been better... but, a 75-100g would be best (or of course bigger).

Anyway, If I were you... I would bite the bullet... take out the lonely red zebra, peacocks, and maybe the artus and you will have a happy tank for a long time.