PDA

View Full Version : silicone

robnepper
01-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Guys. Just a note about silicone. As some one who used to build a lot of tanks for my self, I have done a bit of research. You should try to use aquarium silicone as much as possible as it has better chemical properties for aquariums. You can use regular silicone, but here is the trick. You absolutely must let it do something called " off-gas " for at least 72 hours and a week is better as a minimum. The rule is that if you can still smell the silicone smell, it is still off-gasing. If you love your fish, don't expose them to silicone that is releasing gas.

Do your research, folks. There are a lot of products out there.

As a side note, and as an ex-windshield installer, I would like to let the person who wrote in the last thread know that silicone is not what your windshield is installed with. If it is, sell it fast:).:ezpi_wink1:

country_boy454
01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I never wrote it is what your windshield is installed with i said it has properties like it. I have installed many windshields on various cars, trucks, vans, and suvs. I was referring to the water tight seal it makes!!

This is my original post read it again! "Silicone is like the stuff they use when putting windshields in cars. Its makes a waterproof seal and is safe for fish."

robnepper
01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
My bad, country...please accept my sincere apologies. For some reason, I totally missed the " like " part of your comment and miss read it. Really sorry, country.

country_boy454
01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Hey no hard feelings. It's different reading something than it is when someone speaks to you. I didn't intend on my reply to sound like I was mad.

CAX474
01-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Thats right no smell its ok, if not Keep it out of the tank!!

Dsoto87
01-10-2008, 04:56 AM
My understanding of it is that "Aquarium" silicone is just 100% pure silicone. Nothin special about it. Just repackaged and marked up. Correct me if im wrong but Ive read a lot on it. That gas your talking about is the vinegar smell, which is from acetic acid being released.

CAX474
01-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Ahh! Correct, anyway to make a buck and to make you think its different so you will buy it. just as long as you are patient and wait for it to cure properly then its fine to use. Remember use your nose then youll nose!! lol