PDA

View Full Version : Phosphates off the charts!

Lady Hobbs
01-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Man, I was wondering why I was getting some algae. My phosphates are 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checked my other tanks and they are 2 which is normal for here.

Dave66
01-09-2008, 02:50 AM
Man, I was wondering why I was getting some algae. My phosphates are 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checked my other tanks and they are 2 which is normal for here.

What all's in the tank with the high phosphates, fishwise? When they process food, the offal contains phosphate. Also, what in the tank as far as gravel and stones?

Dave

Lady Hobbs
01-09-2008, 02:53 AM
55 gallon tank with 4 firemouths and 8 danios. A few stringy vals and one sword plants is all. Sand tank. A bunch of rocks for caves.

About 2 weeks ago I started getting his aglae and couldn't figure out why. Never thought to check the phosphates.

I have to wonder now about my plant tabs.

Dave66
01-09-2008, 03:51 AM
55 gallon tank with 4 firemouths and 8 danios. A few stringy vals and one sword plants is all. Sand tank. A bunch of rocks for caves.

About 2 weeks ago I started getting his aglae and couldn't figure out why. Never thought to check the phosphates.

I have to wonder now about my plant tabs.

Is that the only tank you have sand in, Hobbsy? Even play sand can have phosphates bound in it that are released into the bulk water over time.
And what kind of tabs are you using? Please tell me they aren't by Jungle.
I use the Florish tabs; usually three or four around the roots of my big swords. Takes at least three months before I even think about replacing them even though those are honkin' big swords and 'eat' a lot.
Those are the only things I can think of, as your other two tanks don't have problem algae. So its either the sand, the stones, the fertilizer or the relative newness of the tank that's giving you your algae troubles. Some nutrient is giving the algae its growth kick, and that phosphate has to come from SOMEWHERE in that tank. You've far too few fish in there to cause a phosphate surge of that magnitude.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
01-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Not the Jungle tabs but the AP (Aquarium Products) Plant Tabbs. I did check and they do contain 11% phosphates. But, I added some just last week then ended up riping plants out so maybe they got into the water column. Gets me as I just did a major water change yesterday.

Just did another one and phosphates are at 2 again "for now". I have 3 tanks with this playsand and they all register 2. Perhaps I should not use any ferts right now with so few plants in the tank? I have more coming this week so should I wait until my tank has more plants before using ferts. I am running the CO2 again.

(I thought I gave up on this.)