PDA

View Full Version : guppies and cyano???

squirt_12
01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
since guppies...any pretty well every other livebearers eat algae...i was wondering if i put some guppies in the tank with the cyano if they would eat it and get rid of it??? yes or no???

thanks.

Fishalicious
01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Cyano is actually a bacteria and not an algae - there are rumors that some fish may touch it (don't believe that myself) but they will certainly not feed on it to the stage of it actually going away... cyano spreads too fast. Guppies in any case won't go near it at all...

Try and get it under grips as it can be harmful to your fish in the long run...

Cyanobacteria obtain their energy through photosynthesis so if the vacuuming and cleaning and water changes are not helping you can either turn to antibiotics to get rid of them or you can black out your tank for usually around 1 week and it will be all dead. The fish don't mind...

You could also try adding phosphates - the important thing to do is get down to why you are getting it... otherwise you will be battling it all the time.

Causes are not enough water changes or not enough waste being removed when cleaning - overstocked tank - feeding too much... these are the main ones.

If it is from overfeeding get a nice little clean up crew together if room permits it to get rid of those little specks of food that are not eaten by the main fish or missed by them.

gm72
01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Fishalicious. BAM! Spot on!

squirt_12
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
WOW....thanks Fishalicious.....well it can't be from feeding too much, the tank is not overstocked, i take quite a bit of gunk and waste out when i clean the tank and i do about 25-30% water changes atleast once a week.

But i have been doing more water changes but i will turn the light off for a while and see if it goes away....it isn't as bad as it was before.

thanks so much fishalicious.....alot of awesome information.