PDA

View Full Version : noisy water filtration (help)

Slow Cheetah
08-27-2006, 07:33 AM
Just today i have bought Melafix to help one of my wounded/diseased platys. It says for best results remove activated carbon during treatment and the treatment is seven days. The problem is that my tank is in my bedroom and the filter is making alot of noise from landing on the ceramic noodles from a larger height and would make sleeping a challenge. I was wondering if it was neccessary for the carbon cartridge to be out during the treatment.

Thx

Newbiedude :P

stubbytheplecostomus
08-27-2006, 04:04 PM
if the package says not to use carbon then you should probably not use the carbon, alot of medications are "filterd out" by the carbon. you could try putting a piece of "aquarium floss" in the place of carbon, this should quite it down a bit. Aquarium floss is commonly used in wet dry sump systems and its what bio-bags and other filter cartriges are made out of, you can easilly find it at any petstore. i'm assuming you are using a canister type filter... hope this works for ya!

William
08-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Yes. It is necessary to remove the carbon. Active carbon otherwise nutralizes the meds.

This is not only true for Melafix but for all meds.

Slow Cheetah
08-28-2006, 06:25 AM
ok thx for the help