PDA

View Full Version : Sajica and anglefish as tank mates?

plow
01-08-2008, 08:19 AM
I have a 30 gallon, with one small angel, 6 cardinal tetra and 4 siamese algae eaters..

I want to put a pair of young sajicas(t-bar) in there.

Are the sajicas and angelfish going to be compatable?

Dave66
01-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I have a 30 gallon, with one small angel, 6 cardinal tetra and 4 siamese algae eaters..

I want to put a pair of young sajicas(t-bar) in there.

Are the sajicas and angelfish going to be compatable?

Not in a 30 gallon they're not. You'll need a larger tank for the angelfish, as in health they reach up to eight inches tall, not to mention the future five inch sajicas, which when breeding will most likely kill the angel, as there's nowhere to hide and get out of the line of sight in a 30. Something in the neighborhood of a planted 75 gallon would be more appropriate for the Cichlids you're thinking of. Look on the bright side; in a planted 75, you could have a lot more cardinal tetras (48, 64, like that).

Dave

plow
01-08-2008, 09:39 AM
that 30 gallon is a real problem for me..

I cant think of anything I really want that would work in it.

Would they be ok in a 55 Dave?

Dave66
01-08-2008, 10:18 AM
that 30 gallon is a real problem for me..

I cant think of anything I really want that would work in it.

Would they be ok in a 55 Dave?

It would, but you need to make sure there are places where the fish can get out of the line of sight. Driftwood and rounded stones are helpful in that respect. Fish you have and fish you want will do better in a planted tank, as there are lots of places to duck out of sight, and plants tend to purify the water, especially with lusty eaters like the angelfish and the sajiacas pumping out waste. If you have the proper substrate, lights and funds to do one, I'd suggest you do so.
Still could have a bunch more cardinals in a 55. Four dozen easy.
Were it me with a 30 gallon, I'd keep a bunch of tetras, quintet of the smaller cories, and a small group of dwarf cichlids, like one of the ornate Apistogramma species. Just gotta scale down the species size the smaller you go in tanks.

Dave

plow
01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I get what you are saying with the plants, line of sight, natural barriers and their other benefits.. I use a lot of plants.. and the 30 gal will be planted as well as having some vertical driftwood and rocks as barriers, I should actually take a photo of it (it is cycling right now) and maybe get some comments on the layout.

My cardinals, angel and siamese algae eaters are currently sitting in my 55 gal. But I had intended to use my 55 for malawi cichlids. So the idea was to set up a home for the sajicas, and the others in the 30 gal..

I understand this was pushing it with the 30gal with the angels and sajicas together, however I thought the 30gal would be ok for a pair of sajicas and cardinals without the angel. :confused:

My other option is to make a mbuna tank with the 30gal, but thats pushing it too...

back to the drawing board?

nanaglen2001
01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I wouldnt do that, the Sajicas are too agressive. At least for Angels.

Sajicas can cope with Jack Dempseys, Salvinis and Cichlids like that. And 30 galons are too small is it Angel or Sajica allone. Those 2 Cichlids in a tank of this size would kill the Angels.

plow
01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I wouldnt do that, the Sajicas are too agressive. At least for Angels.

Sajicas can cope with Jack Dempseys, Salvinis and Cichlids like that. And 30 galons are too small is it Angel or Sajica allone. Those 2 Cichlids in a tank of this size would kill the Angels.

Do you mean you wouldn't put them in a 55 aswell?

Just to clarify nanaglen, are you saying that 30 gal is too small for a pair of sajicas?

nanaglen2001
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
55 Gals for ONE pair of Sajicas is ok, given some dither fish, and enough spaces to hide for the much smaller female Sajica. 30 gals is too small.

Angels and Sajicas NEVER together.

I keep 2 pairs of Sajicas in a 110 gal. tank, so they can keep out of their way. But when my two big blokes meet, man you can HEAR them fight, and they fight with locked mouths, which means its really serious. And Saica males can get 6 inches big.