PDA

View Full Version : Algae!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scorpion
01-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Hey all, it's been a while! Happy New Year everyone!

:help:

Ok, I'm having an algae outbreak, and decided it's time to get a couple of algae eaters.

Tank is 25gal, with two very happy Bala sharks in it. However, said Bala's do not eat said algae (unless very hungry), so it's time to get a dedicated fishy or two to do it. I'm constantly cleaning the front and sides, and the rear glass and plasticky plants are covered in it. Unfortunately, it gets quite a bit of natural light during the day (large 10 x 6 window), and until we move, I can't do anything about it except draw the curtains....which makes the room gloomy :c11:

So, what fishies will go well with the Bala's? Your input to this green issue appreciated!

S.

cocoa_pleco
01-07-2008, 11:47 PM
balas get a foot long, and need a 100g+ tank so youre overstocked, how much lighting do you have on the tank?

Scorpion
01-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Yes, i know they get big. They are only about 31/2 to 4 inches right now, so not a problem just yet. And I believe one of my associates at work will take them off my hands later. He has a LARGE tank in his basement (I'm thinking about 150gal).

Lighting is nothing special, one 24" 20w tube.

NickFish
01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Balas can get up to 18" and some have even reached 24" when properly cared for. The really need a 200 gallon tank minimum when at adult size. I think that's the main reason I like to stay away from sharks, the need HUGE tanks! It is good to give them away to your friend who has a bigger tank but IMO unless they are the only fish in there it would be too crowded.

Either way the best fish for eating algae are otocinclus. Get 2 of them and the algae should be gone in a week. Just make sure to supplement their diet with zucchini.

mitcore
01-08-2008, 12:34 AM
by bala sharks do you mean silver fin sharks?

if you do then i would suggest a few good algae eaters

bristle nose sucker fish are very good algae eaters
mystery trail snails are also very good
these 2 will live well with the silver fin

!!!
01-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Balas can get up to 18" and some have even reached 24" when properly cared for.
i read 13" in the wild and 7" in captivity

squirt_12
01-08-2008, 12:45 AM
by bala sharks do you mean silver fin sharks?

if you do then i would suggest a few good algae eaters

bristle nose sucker fish are very good algae eaters
mystery trail snails are also very good
these 2 will live well with the silver fin
honestly....i don't think that snails do a very good job....they may eat a little bit of algae but they also leave slim on the glass.....i would either go with some oto cats (i don't know if they would be ok with the balas though)

the bristlenose catfish would be fine as it needs a 29g fully grown....so i think that a 25g would be ok for a little while until it gets really big.

but other than that your tank is already fully stocked.

Scorpion
01-08-2008, 12:53 AM
These are the bala's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bala_shark

Scorpion
01-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Well, looks like it's time to move the bala's out then. In which case, the tank can get a great cleaning, and then I'll look for some smaller fish for it.

thanks all...just needed the nudge to move the bala's out.

S.

NickFish
01-08-2008, 01:15 AM
They do pretty big.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile21.html
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/cyprinids/bala.html
Good idea moving them out it, smaller tanks always look better with a few school of small fish than just a few big fish.

Incredulous_Ed
01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
otos do a great job at eating algae, as well as bristlenose catfishes.

mitcore
01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
honestly....i don't think that snails do a very good job....they may eat a little bit of algae but they also leave slim on the glass.....i would either go with some oto cats (i don't know if they would be ok with the balas though)

the bristlenose catfish would be fine as it needs a 29g fully grown....so i think that a 25g would be ok for a little while until it gets really big.

but other than that your tank is already fully stocked.

thank i thought they were the silver fin shark i get a bit confused sometimes LOL
squirt snails are great algae eaters well mine are anyway, i own 4 and they do a very good job on the aglae in my tanks,

it is a matter of opinion :malelovies: :malelovies: squirt:ezpi_wink1: