PDA

View Full Version : Sand as plant substrate

plow
01-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Im just wanting to get some opinions on sand as a substrate for growing plants.

I have already set up my tank with a fine sand (0.33mm max fraction) as a substrate.. So I stuck a few plants in, and they are sitting there nicely.

My question is... Is sand too dense to allow nutrients to get down to the roots of the plants.. Fine sand packs so tight, I was wondering about its ability to allow nutrients down 3 or 4 cm to the roots?

I imagine a coarser grade gravel is probably better for this reason?

Anyone had good or bad success using fine sand?

CAX474
01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Nope I have never used it, as it can be a pain to clean and to maintain.

Fishalicious
01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I love sand and my plants grow all very well in it...just as well as in gravel.. just make sure you pick sand with even size grains and it is no problem for nutrition or suffocating etc. Poolsand is brilliant and cheap and you don't even need to wash it before throwing it in the tank.

fins_n_fur
01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Jess, again, for the information for all of us thumbs2: . As you know, I'm just getting into the hobby and having been doing a lot of research. I was wondering about the sand/gravel question, especially when I saw your new tank pictures and all of the plants. Would you mind PM-ing me on where to get pool sand here in NLs or could I just use the bagged sandpit stuff?

BTW, how's the new tank coming along?

MercCougar
01-07-2008, 01:47 PM
sand is really good for plants but it can be hard to get them to stay in the sand untill they take root

Fishalicious
01-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I'll PM you fggibbs thumbs2: I am just passing along my experiences xxxx

The tank is coming along great... it is starting to take on a lovely tea color from the peat and the plants are already growing a lot...thanks for asking xxx