View Full Version : how long for snail breeding

daza
01-07-2008, 09:32 AM
does anyone know how long it takes for snails eggs to hatch
thanks

Demi ^_^
01-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Hope I helped ^_^

Click here! (http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070312130423AAQLORM&show=7)

I found this on the website, as I have no experience with snails, let alone having eggs! lol. Sorry if this dosen't answer your question.

~ Demi ^_^ :11:

Pr0eve
01-08-2008, 04:07 AM
My one snail I have in my tank laid eggs and they hatch before I even seen them. the only way I was able to tell is that I seen baby snails. so pretty fast.

Sinnbox
02-03-2008, 06:06 AM
When i got my Piranha i couldnt get any feederfish for a while so i got some bluegill minnows out of my pond(ya i know thats a no-no) somehow i got some snails in the net, and they ended up in the aquarium, I thought the piranah ate them. About 2 months later my friend was looking at the tank and said "Why do you have so many snails?" I looked and there were close to 50 baby snails crawling around. now there are more snails everyday. so I have no idea how long it takes, but i do know that one they hatch, you will know, lol.

jbeining75
02-03-2008, 06:07 AM
you'll have a 100 by next month...... they breed like its noones business....

karbomb
02-03-2008, 06:36 AM
i think it depends on what type of snail as well. what type of snails do you have?

Fishy-Suzy
02-07-2008, 03:35 AM
They can't have sex, they're asuxual. It doesn't take long at all. I've got about a million baby snails and I pawn them off to teachers at school.

Kupcake
02-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Ok, let me be the snail answerer...i dont want someone to read this and not know.

I know this is an old topic, but i figure i should share my knowledge.

There are many diffrent types of snails, the ones that Sinnbox is describing (came from a pond, hatching with out seeing eggs) are probably pesky pond snails (sorry i dont know any technical name for these guys) they are brown and have the point of their spirals out behind them more. They are Asexual (meaning that they can reproduce alone) and they have live babies i believe or they dont lay clutches thus the eggs are spread out and lost among your substrate, where they hatch.

Pr0eve you probably had some type of snail like a pond snail.

There are also malaysian trumpet snails that stow-away from lfs. These guys live in the substrate and many people have them and never know since they only come out at night and other wise live and die in the substrate. They root around and help rooted plants and substrate relieve any toxic gasses that may be kept otherwise. The only way to know if you have trumpet snails is to keep the light off at night and wait a few hours and then look with a flash light (they are really tiney-about 1/4") These are also Asexual but like already mentioned you never really know when you have these and they are not bad for tanks.

Another type of snail is the apple snail, these snails have many types in the species. Most apple snails are Sexual (meaning it takes two to tango :) ) The clutches are layed above the water line in the tank and easily seen and removed if babies are not wanted. These are wonderful additions to freshwater aquariums alone or in pairs - since egg removal is so easy and hard to mess up.

~~ If the origional poster didnt find his answer here it is: Snail clutches will hatch in about 3 to 5 weeks depending on species and temp. The higher the temp the faster they will develope and hatch.

Hope i have helped!

FishinJoburg
02-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Being a newbie I put together a tank without really checking what was good, bad or indifferent- and the guys at the fish store merely stopped me from taking aggresives together with the mollies and guppies I had been advised to buy.

So I went ahead, got mlilles, guppies a plecostomus- and five golden apple snails. Yep- five of them- and they regularly lay large clutches of eggs of eggs on the hood of the aquarium. From my experience- they take twenty to thirty days to hatch, but thats far from a scientific answer and is based on my experience with one tank.