PDA

View Full Version : new gourami

mitcore
01-07-2008, 04:38 AM
i got given a 12cm kissing gourami free, he/she is just beautiful and big

the lfs told my hubby that they are agressive, i havent seen this yet

is it true on the bigger the gourami is and that it is a kissing gourami that it will be agressive

any ideas would be lovely

thanks all

CAX474
01-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Hi mitcore it mainly depends on the fish and tank mates, size of tank mates, size of tank ect. And if its a male and is looking for a teritory in the tank, or wants to make a nest as they will nest build without females.

cocoa_pleco
01-07-2008, 05:02 AM
they can be cranky at times but as long as they arent with tiny tankmates they should be okay

mitcore
01-07-2008, 05:33 AM
LOL
i do have have him in there with smaller gouramis and angels ( which have spawned and have fry ) they bullied him straight away, i also have black widows and cleaner fish( corys and suckers plus 1 mystery snail)

do i need to worry?
he is in a 4ft(250lt) tank?
lots of room for him

cocoa_pleco
01-07-2008, 05:37 AM
he should be fine, leave the tank lights off until they get their agression out.

theyre awesome fish, i had a pair a few years ago

mitcore
01-07-2008, 05:47 AM
cool thanks i have had him since yest and i really havent seen agression as of yet.

i think the angels bullied it out of him they are fairly agressive at the moment,
the angels bullied as soon as i got him in the tank, so i am wondering if he wont become agressive because of the angels

do you think it is possible?

cocoa_pleco
01-07-2008, 05:54 AM
theyre just getting territories figured out, it will end soon. when i bought the new wrasse for my reef the damsel gave him a hard time until the damsel figured out that the wrasse isnt any danger, same thing as in your case

mitcore
01-07-2008, 05:58 AM
cool thanks,

the angels have fry they are protecting, i have left the angel and their babies in the community tank, they are to fend for the fry themselves if they survive,
probably poor timing on my behalf on getting the new gourami when there is angel fry in there LOL

AABatteries
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I just got a blue gourami and a golden gourami. BTW gouramis are semi agressive

mitcore
01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
no not really i think that depends on how many and what the tank mates are

i have quite a few gouramis and they get along well

still no agression with the kissing yet

i think the angels scared it out of him, LOL

Blue Ram
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Maybe the kissing gouramis are only agressive to there own kind!

mitcore
01-27-2008, 01:20 AM
dont know
but this one is still non agressive
a great and fun fish to watch

snapdragon9
02-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Are there any hanging/floating plants in the tank. This is helpful to mimic their natural habitat, from what I have heard gouramis are a mid-top dwellers. Perhaps creating a dense amount of floating plants, they will ease up on the aggresion.

jbeining75
02-09-2008, 08:58 PM
good luck with the kissing gourami mitcore post up some picy a shures.......