PDA

View Full Version : Barbus Schwanenfeldi

UrsaMajor
01-07-2008, 03:09 AM
After reading up a bit on this Indonesian Tin Foil Barb I cannot determine what live plants can be planted with it that it dosen't eat. They are omnivorous. I have 4 mature barbs about 6 years old and the size of my hand in a 74 gallon tank. I am currently procuring a 180 gallon tank and I want to put the barbs in there but have the tank planted. Let me know what your experiences are with this type of fish and related plants.

Thanks,

Dave66
01-07-2008, 03:42 AM
After reading up a bit on this Indonesian Tin Foil Barb I cannot determine what live plants can be planted with it that it dosen't eat. They are omnivorous. I have 4 mature barbs about 6 years old and the size of my hand in a 74 gallon tank. I am currently procuring a 180 gallon tank and I want to put the barbs in there but have the tank planted. Let me know what your experiences are with this type of fish and related plants.

Thanks,

All the barbs nibble plants, though some do it a LOT more than others. Your tinfoils will chew on them, but if you keep them in veggies (Romain lettace, cucumber, zucchini slices, apple slices, etc.) clipped to the side of the tank during the day they'll leave them pretty much alone.
As far as not eating at all, Java Ferns and the Crinum species no herbivore I know of will touch. I've never had them mess with low growing live Cryptocorynes, though they have trouble resisting leafy Hygrophilas. Again, as long as you keep them in veggies they like, they'll pretty much leave plants alone. Without them, things like sword plants and vallisneria would be lunch.
I'm sure you know to balance vegetation 60 or 70 percent with meat based foods for your barbs for complete nutrition.

Dave