PDA

View Full Version : do snails breath air?

golopus
01-07-2008, 02:32 AM
ive just purchased some yellow mystery snails. the more i read it seems like these snails come to the top of the tank to get air. is this true? if so do i need to leave some space at the top of the tank?

Pr0eve
01-07-2008, 02:49 AM
there will always be some space at the top. just make sure they do not crawl out.

cocoa_pleco
01-07-2008, 03:04 AM
they sometimes go to the top if you have ammonia issues, if they stay there i would be worried. they can even detect a ammonia spike before it happens

squirt_12
01-07-2008, 03:06 AM
yes they will come to the top of the tank for air.....but as cocoa said they can also do that....so be careful and watch them.

Dave66
01-07-2008, 03:07 AM
ive just purchased some yellow mystery snails. the more i read it seems like these snails come to the top of the tank to get air. is this true? if so do i need to leave some space at the top of the tank?

It is true. The snails store oxygen in their gut and must go to the top to replenish their supply. If they can't get to the top, they will suffocate and drown. They only need a little space at the top so they can take a 'breath'.

Dave

Rue
01-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Yes! Make certain they have a 'breathing' space at the top of the tank! If you watch carefully you'll see them 'pump' air...it's very cool...