PDA

View Full Version : here goes

robnepper
01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi all. Here's my thing...

I have two large fantails, one had been with me for two years. I also have a plecco who has been with me for about a year and a half. I just got 2 peppered corys and I think they are kinda cool. My plecco just decided yesterday that perhaps he should go ahead and start sucking on the goldies. Not cool. So, since the goldies are quite large for a 10 gallon, and the plecco is now fierce, I have decided to take them in for credit and have a dedicated cory tank for a while. ( maybe quite awhile considering their longevity.) I am sad about getting rid of the goldies, but perhaps this will be a new begining for the tank.

How many corys for the tank?

How prolific are they?

Will a mystery snail eat a zebra snail?

do corys and snail get along?

cocoa_pleco
01-06-2008, 07:49 PM
what kind of pleco? virtually all plecos are too large for a 10g, and it would be too large a bioload to add anything with it

robnepper
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
CP, this plecco is only about 2.5 - 3 inches right now. I know he will grow so it is just as well that he goes I guess.

NickFish
01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
............................ok here's my thoughts,
There should really only be 1 fantail in a 10 gallon.
Plecos need at least a 150 gallon
Corydoras should be kept in schools of 6-8
Yes cory and snail get along

I recommend trying to bring the pleco back to the pet store or finding another home for him. 2 goldfish and 2 corys is plenty for a 10 gallon. Good idea bringing the fish back. You can probably get 6 cories for a 10 gallon. They aren't too prolific but mine bred without much encouragement. Just drop the aquarium temperature be 4 or 5 degrees and they should spawn. You can also get a small school of tetras. Or a pair of honey gouramis. Also please see my post on feeding corys properly.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=13725
Good luck!

squirt_12
01-06-2008, 09:57 PM
first of all...you should not have coldwater fish and tropical fish in the same tank. They need different tank temps.

robnepper
01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Well I did it. No more Goldfish and the plecco is gone too. They gave me three Spotted Corys for all of them so now I have 5 including the 2 peppered. I am really looking forward to adding more. More plants too, I think. I have read your article, Fresh, and I found it very informative. So that's it. Corys only for now.

Thanks to every one!