PDA

View Full Version : Arapaima (Pirarucu)

Jin
01-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone~ I do keep a pirarucu and it's abt 1 year old. I just wondering i couldn't see reddish tint scale at it's edge. Could anyone here answering me? Cheers~

gm72
01-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why you don't see the coloration?

That will be a MONSTER of a fish, hope you have a massive tank for it!

shockshockshad
01-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I can't answer your question but that fish will be 10 feet long. You need a tank at least 20 feet by 12 feet by 4 feet.

Dsoto87
03-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Wow....theres probably less than 100 people besides zoo/aquarium in the US who could house an arapaima properly. I dont know where you got that fish from, but it was an irresponsible move on their part. It will probably become a big mistake on your part too. Im sure you paid a hefty fee. I hope you have some type of pool sized aquarium in your backyard

Theres an LFS by me thats selling one right now for 200. I really hope it doesnt get sold. Its irresponsible to sell something like that.

houie925
05-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I know it's an old post but as far as I have seen, the red hues on the arapaima don't really show until they get larger. nice to see someone with a fish that will get bigger than my RTC/TSN hybrid. The biggies are awesome if you can house and feed them properly.

Pterophyllum
03-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Hmm, Jin isn't replying O_O

I don't know about it... but I heard it is ILLEGAL to raise fishes like that in your home, zoos can but, I am pretty sure it is against the law in most countries right?

Anyways, Jin if you see this... TAKE THE ADVICE I HELP TO OFFER! I hope that was big enough xD

So Arapaima or Pirarucu fishes grow to 3 meters when they are fully grown. They breathe the atmosphere that is above water, and that is an ancient method the pirarucu use. It is said that their ancestors developed a lung like organ that allows them to breathe above land and under water.

They swallow their prey whole, and they use IMMENSE suction force to SUCK their prey in, allowing them to let all of the sucked water out of their gills, and the prey inside their body to eat.

They can eat GIANT fishes. Like large oscars, Piranha, Cichlids (south american ones mainly) and/or african cichlids, even though they aren't from South America.

They can eat a lot of tetras, and cat fishes too including the pleco but it will be a bit hard because the pleco's shell is armored heavily.

Good luck! and you better ask those sellers where they got it from or if they have a license or you will be in trouble with them too.

oh, and the pirarucu will need 1,000 gallons and UP!

It's overly expensive for just 1,000 gallon but a 3,000 gallon is good enough for only a 2 year one, so your going to be in a big mess.

oh, if you clean the tank and you have dive underwater, MAKE SURE THE PIRARUCU WON'T SWALLOW YOU UP!! :P jokes xD

But they do have big mouths !