PDA

View Full Version : uncommon platy?

blu
01-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I was thiking that next time I see these I might pick up a few. Ive only seen them once and I would enjoy raising some fry if they are a little more uncommon. They are called red tiger platys and are a newer strain of the bleeding heart platy but Im not able to find a lot of info on them. Are they real common..has anyone kept t hem before or have any other info on them?
http://www.rarelivebearers.com/images/Father.jpg

NickFish
01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Nope never seen those before. I'm guessing they are pretty rare. Nice looking too! 2 of those would look really cool in a commity tank.

Algenco
01-06-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't know, looks as though they have been painted?

Sasquatch
01-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Wow, they look really cool.

As far as care goes, a platy is a platy is a platy. Take care of them like you would any other platy.

Hopefully we'll see some around here ... we're in the market for a couple of new platies.

Kaga's Kritters
01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
they are dyed fish. that is not a normal color variation.

blu
01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Are you sure these are dyed fish? These sites seem so suggest otherwise...I really dont want to buy dyed fish but if their offspring have this pattern then they are not dyed right?
http://www.mellowaquatics.com/TropicalFishForSale/BleedingHeartPlaties.htm
http://www.rarelivebearers.com/Platy.htm#Red_Stripe_Tiger

Kaga's Kritters
01-06-2008, 09:21 PM
oh wow....maybe they are natural.....they do look very much like dyed fish though. learn something new every day i guess. :)

blu
01-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah thats why I was excited to see them cause I thought they were dyed to but then read up on them..thats why I didnt pick them up when I saw them the first time.
I think it would make it more interesting to raise fry of a more uncommon strain

squirt_12
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
when i first looked at them they looked dyed.....but after looking at somemore of the picture that you provided they look natural. Very cool...i have never heard or seen of those until today.

Sasquatch
01-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, the giveaway for me was that the patterns weren't the same on each fish. Usually with died fish you get the same pattern over and over again, and often in different colors.

I just don't see people doing many uniquely dyed fish with tiger stripes, too much work.

Tolley
01-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Seen them in a huge fish store 25 miles away from me, they didnt look dyed would've got some if they weren't covered in ich :(

!!!
01-06-2008, 11:24 PM
i've seen lots of variations of platy, but not that one... get some and breed them!

mitcore
01-07-2008, 04:50 AM
very nice platty i havent seen one of those here,

i agree with !!! breed them i would if i could get them here

blu
01-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I would definately like to try to breed them if I can find them again. Would giving away some of these fry be difficult since they seem to be a bit more uncommon..atleast easier than if I were to breed say wag tails a very common variety.

I think I will be taking a trip to the fish store today to see what I can find.:)

slinky
01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I saw this episode on National Geographic last night about tattooing. Perhaps these fish were in jail before you got them?

Louise OBryan
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
does'nt matter how they got their markings, it is definately a very stricking image.

have you gone to get any?

i would put them in my tank just cause they pritty:41:

love to all

lou

blu
01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Well I went to 3 different fish stores(including petco where I first saw them). None of them had any..petco said they wont get anymore until they are more popular..other lfs said they seen them mabey once a year..other laughed(if he does one more time Im gonna freak out) and said hes been trying to get them in for about 2 years. Mabey Ill ask the one store around when they get them so I can get a few..I would wait a year for these.

slinky
01-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I just saw fish that looked almost exactly like these in the LFS. They were called "painted barbs" I believe and if I can, I'll take a picture with my mobile phone.

slinky
01-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Those platys look like "ghost" platys (or glass catfish with stripes) and I would guess natural. But here was an interesting fish I saw this past week in the LFS:

http://www.aquariumspace.com/mystuff/paintedtigerbarbs.jpg

Look at the one all the way on the right. They are practically transparent, sort of like transparent orange creamsicles, lol.

NickFish
01-11-2008, 09:44 PM
That's a cool looking platy. I didn't know they had that many colors for platys. My favourite I think are the blue platys or maybe the cobra platys (sometimes called fire and ice platys). The blues come in many shades of blue and are pretty cool fish.

Tolley
01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
I have many platies... none are the same! ( except fry ) i love the variety of colours you can get and make good use of it!!

I have;

Fully black with cream stomach
Orange and Milk Calico
Yellow Speckled
Blue Speckled
Orange and Black
Red
Sunset Comet
Orange and Black but with Golden fins
Blue Wagtail
White Mickey Mouse

LOL