PDA

View Full Version : Cycling a Plant Tank???

jak61
01-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Hello and am new to the forum. I am starting a 55 gal tank and actually have started a fishless cycle process using liquid ammonia. My intentions are to have a planted aquarium with a few community fish. Right now, just being a few days into the cycling process, the ammonia levels are at around 5 ppm. I have read, on this wonderful world of the internet, that plants use the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to help them thrive. Is this concentration of ammonia too high right now to go ahead and start establishing some plants into the tank, or should I wait until levels have dropped? Or should I just wait until the cycling process is complete. I think having some plants in the tank might speed up the process but don't want to harm the plants with too high ammonia levels if they cannot tolerate it. Looking forward to your responses and will enjoy the reading here. Thanks.

plow
01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I hope someone takes the time to answer this, cos I'd like to know too.

I'm in the middle of the same process... have added ammonia, have added some bacteria from a bottle and have sat plants in the aquarium. Im also not sure how the plants will handle the ammonia. I guess at a concentration too high their roots would get burnt, but how high that is i dont know.

I am hoping that the process begins soon so I can add my fish sooner rather than later.

CAX474
01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Yes you can cycle your tank with plants and yes it will help as they thrive on Amonia (fish waste) ect.

Here is the link to the A.C Form Beginer book and it will take you through tank cycling with or without plants and fish.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=1602