PDA

View Full Version : should i get another tank?

Slow Cheetah
08-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Right now i have a 10 gal tank. I always hear people saying that they put their sick fish into another tank to seperate diseases etc. I don't have another tank lol! I was wondering in about 6 months to a year i was planning on going up to a larger tank and use my 10 gal as a sick tank. Would it be worth it to get another in the mean time? if so what size etc?

;)

stubbytheplecostomus
08-26-2006, 03:14 AM
your talking about a quarantine tank, salt water fish keepers exspecially use these becuase often times the livestock in their tanks can be worth a few hundred dollars. when a fish gets sick it is seperated from the others in hopes the disease will not spread, but also some medications are harmful to different corals, invertabreas and fish, so in order to medicate the sick fish it needs to be removed from the rest of the tank. another use for a quarantine tank is to hold new fish for a period of time to make sure it is free of diseases and parasites (ussually two weeks or so) this is to make sure that a new fish doesn't introduce a disease that will harm the other fish.
a quarantine tank for a fresh water is rare, expescially for a 10 gallon tank. medications can't harm plastic plants and ussually the price of the livestock are much less then the cost of an extra tank. if i were you i wouldn't worry untill you get to keeping a much larger tank.

William
08-26-2006, 03:19 AM
It is good to have one but it might be a large investment to make if you only have a 10 gallon tank. what type of fish to you have in it?

Slow Cheetah
08-26-2006, 04:29 AM
TO be honest im not sure if my tank is 10 gal but i know it is 34 litres. the fish in it are 2 male guppys, 2 clown loaches, 3 platys, 2 white clouds and 1 male betta

octony
08-26-2006, 04:33 AM
I would say maybe purchase a net breeder if you dont have one to let the sick/ injured fish recuperate. Meds for those fish probually costs more then the fish itself.