PDA

View Full Version : Discus Food

james0007
01-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi every one
i feed my discus blood worm & frozen shrimp until I heard that isn't enough because these things will only provide them with protein & I need to provide them with these food from (tetra or tropical) because it provide them minerals & vitamins beside protein .
I would like to make sure if it's true or not ? do I need to change discus's diet ?
Thanks all

Fishguy2727
01-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I feed mine nothing but New Life Spectrum. It is truly complete and balanced. You can take a look at them on my PhotoBucket and decide if they look malnourished to you. Many discus people seem to push very high protein foods and equate the very fast growth as thriving. However, fast growth does not necessarily equal health. Powerfeeding is something I have seen in snakes and other animals many times and it seems that some discus have been powerfed. These foods with protein levels higher than they naturally get can cause growth that is too fast. This can cause problems with the skeleton, organs, and an improperly proportioned animal.

james0007
01-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the reply I decided to feed them both of the food one day blood worm or shrimp & the next day flakes food (tropical D-50 plus) .
by the way My friend you should know that not feeding your discus with blood worm or shrimp using your hand ..you are missing a lot of fun.
I hope you try it .

Cal Discus
05-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Discus require a varied diet of flakes, frozen and live food for health.

Fishguy2727
05-18-2008, 02:03 PM
No they don't. Variety for any fish used to be needed because no single food was complete and balanced. Now we have NLS, which is. It is even better than varied diets.

Have you tried NLS exclusively?

Severum_Enthusiast
05-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Just to add a little variety to my severum's diet I steam (to keep all the nutrients in) zucchini and shelled peas. He seems to love them.
I put them in on a fork and the only thing left is the fork.
I also skin the zucchini to make it easier for him to get to. He gets frustrated and swims around the tank real fast before he'll try it again if he can't get on bite on the first try.

cocoa_pleco
05-25-2008, 01:19 AM
threads from january. lol