PDA

View Full Version : Rams liplocking-sign of pairing?

Incredulous_Ed
01-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Jess, I knw you can answer this.......

My male bolivian was liplocking with my what i think is a female bolivian. Do males liplock with only other males, or can they liplock with females also? Is it a territorial dispute, or a sign of pairing? If it is a territory dispute, is ther hope for pairing??

Dave66
01-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Jess, I knw you can answer this.......

My male bolivian was liplocking with my what i think is a female bolivian. Do males liplock with only other males, or can they liplock with females also? Is it a territorial dispute, or a sign of pairing? If it is a territory dispute, is ther hope for pairing??

In cichlid pairs, lip-locking is a test to see if the mate is worthy or not. If one backs down, the other fish knows that one is unsuitable (and may attack it). If neither back down, it's usually a happy marriage.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
01-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Thank you dave! maybe you can answer this question too: at what size do bolivian rams start breeding? mine are 2 inches from head to the back of the fin.

Dave66
01-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Thank you dave! maybe you can answer this question too: at what size do bolivian rams start breeding? mine are 2 inches from head to the back of the fin.

They may not be successful at their first spawn at that size, but to my experience, Rams start experimenting with breeding at six or seven weeks, when they are just over an inch long. So you're 2 inch Rams are teens seeing if they can manage it.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
01-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Cool. I cant wait for them to start pairing up. Usualyy they just hover around and chase each other.

Tolley
01-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Haha told you they would Ed!

Lady Hobbs
01-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Or just plain fighting. Sometimes the look is the same.

Fishalicious
01-06-2008, 02:23 PM
As Hobbs said males also liplock to test each other strength to see who is top Ram :hmm3grin2orange: A female will also indeed liplock with a male to see if he is made of the right stuff to be a Papa - if it is a male & female liplocking then they are not far from spawning - WOOOHOOOOOOO

Lucky you have Rams - I had a cacatouides female rip the complete lower jaw off a male in a lip locking session - uuurghhhz Rams never go that far...

kkevvy
01-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I had a cacatouides female rip the complete lower jaw off a male in a lip locking session - uuurghhhz Rams never go that far...

Now I've heard of kinky... but you just have to ask yourself, where does it end?

Thats pretty cool though, I hope when I get my rams they start to do that.

Incredulous_Ed
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone. Do you think I should add three corys so the rams will focus their aggresion towards the corys and away from themselves?

Fishalicious
01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
You could but not for that purpose - they will not show any aggression towards the cory's unless or until they actually have a nest...

Incredulous_Ed
01-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I see. The dominant male always chases the others from his territory. Thanks Jess