PDA

View Full Version : Security invites users

Matt23
01-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Hello everyone,

Everyone feels a bit scared before they register at a chat room/forum. Will someone hack into their system and tamper their files? I was thinking that maybe you could put one of those high security symbols like Hackersafe on this site so that new members could look at it and could relax about their security and enjoy the site. Because half the people who don't register for a forum think it's about security. I just think it might be a way to invite users without making them worry about security.
Bye for now, Matt23.:c2: :spam: :spam:

MeganL3985
01-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Matt these ideas your coming up with are okay, but they're not imperative to have. Those hackersafe symbols are typically programs used or people who monitor your website for you. They're not just symbols you post out of no where. Also......this site does not ask you any personal questions to warrant having a hackersafe symbol on here. Its not asking for private information such as social security numbers, license numbers, addresses or phone numbers. I just feel like, its just extra work that isn't necessary.

Tolley
01-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Yes because im sure lots of people are worried about the safety of a fish forum. Waste of time IMO.

KcEE
01-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Yup, I have to agree with Megan. I wonder why people would be worried about security here. How did you come to hear about this?

Ty
01-05-2008, 05:23 PM
that question has never actually crossed my mind when signing up for a forum, I only look for it when buying something online.

when it comes to forums, people only know what you tell them...

cocoa_pleco
01-05-2008, 06:45 PM
so far theres been no issues, the only one i know of is in 2006 someone hacked in and wrote "I WAS HERE" on the front page, other than that its perfectly safe

Drumachine09
01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
vB is a VERY safe bulletin board. It was created to be very safe. If you have any worries about your system, I can assure you this is a very safe board. If it was privately coded by someone else, you would have to worry about injections, and exploits. There are literally 1000's of vB boards in use, and not one of them has a problem with such.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

The "hacker safe" symbols are just on sites like paypal and such. Since this forum doesn't hold any of your personal information, it does not warrant the use of extra protection.

Just putting a symbol there without any extra protection would be lying to the members, and I think I speak for all of the mods/William when I say that is the LAST thing we would do.

Matt23
01-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes I know that THIS is a secure forum but Freeforum, another forum hosted by vB has had several hacker attack attempts on there and what if they find a way to hack in and go to this site, is the question that some users may ask themselves.

Drumachine09
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Regardless. Even if for some odd reason, someone decided to "hack" (and I use that term loosely. The hacking scene has been dead since 95. Now, you just have a bunch of kids running scripts they download) a humble aquarium forum, they would not gain ANY personal information, unless you post it yourself.

William
01-08-2008, 11:53 AM
To use those logos (legally) I would need to become a customer with a company such as hackersafe which is quite expensive. This forum does not require a user to verify it's email adress so that user who want to keep their personal info safe they can just make up the info to use on AC.

Matt23
01-11-2008, 11:59 PM
oh i thought it was free :(