PDA

View Full Version : Staghorn Hermit Crabs

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 05:17 AM
i was just looking at SW stuff and i came across this and i thought it was really really cool. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1146
it would be cool to have one but they should only be kept be advanced SW hobbiests (sp?)

cocoa_pleco
01-05-2008, 05:37 AM
i would say get some experience before trying one

Dave66
01-05-2008, 08:42 AM
The problem with them are the bryzones and hydroids on it's shell. As it says on the site, a deep sand bed is needed to keep one; not for the crab, but for the life on its shell. What the site didn't say is that sand bed needs a top layer of live sand, and that the tank has to be very well established and equipped with refugiums to have enough tiny life so the creatures on the crab's shell survive. You'd also need a large established tank, say over 100 gallons to not only maintain the life on the shell, but to provide enough room for it to wander without running into things that will hurt or kill the crab. Water quality MUST be perfect.
I had one of those seven or eight years ago. Neat critter. Trimma species goby kept trying to nestle in the fake coral on its shell.

Dave

Dave

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 03:04 PM
yeah i knew that i would never beable to keep one bu ti just thought that they were really cool and i wanted to know a little bit about them.

thanks.