PDA

View Full Version : Oto Expecting?

besces
01-05-2008, 04:32 AM
I got several otos last week, two survived and seem quite pleased with their surroundings. However, one has developed a distinctive pouch underneath. How do I tell if the fish is glutinous, has bloat, or is going to be laying eggs soon? (Or perhaps that is normal oto anatomy?) I am quite new at this, so I hope it's not a silly question!

"the"Trinity
01-05-2008, 04:52 AM
I got several otos last week, two survived and seem quite pleased with their surroundings. However, one has developed a distinctive pouch underneath. How do I tell if the fish is glutinous, has bloat, or is going to be laying eggs soon? (Or perhaps that is normal oto anatomy?) I am quite new at this, so I hope it's not a silly question!

Just how fat is it? Our otos are always a bit pot bellied, and it's normally said a fat oto is a happy oto. However, if its belly is abnormally bloated, it could be something like dropsy. What do you feed them?

Never a silly question.

SkarloeysMom
01-05-2008, 04:56 AM
No, not a silly question at all. Two out of several...not bad and sounds about normal. When mine where eating well they always got that fat belly look. I think I might be more concerned if they were not looking that way.

Can you get a picture and post it?

besces
01-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Thank you both for your thoughts, they are probably doing just fine. I tried to get a pic, but they are just too quick. The bulge is just enough to be noticeable, perhaps 1mm, and now they both have it, making it highly unlikely to be eggs :) (obvious even to a non-expert!).

spudbuds
01-05-2008, 05:27 AM
We would need a picture to be sure, but if they are acting normal, then I bet it's just a happy well fed oto. Good job!

besces
01-05-2008, 06:11 AM
OK, here they are, some pictures. Clearly (or blurily) I am not a great photographer of fish, but perhaps you can see what I am talking about.

OscarFan
01-05-2008, 06:16 AM
My Oto has that same thing. But I just got him a couple weeks ago

NickFish
01-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Correct me if I'm but I don't think there has ever been a report of otos breeding in the home aquarium.

It looks like he's just fat. So cute though. If there was lots of algae he probably cleaned that up so fast he got a little round. As long as he look happy then he should be fine.

Tolley
01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Breeding ottos in aquariums is uncommon not unheard of... first link of google 'breeding ottos' http://www.fishpondinfo.com/otto.htm#bred

SkarloeysMom
01-05-2008, 02:10 PM
From the picture it looks like he or she has just been feasting. Mine used to look that way quite often.

besces
01-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Thank you very much to everyone who shared their experiences. I am satisfied that my tank is devoid of near miraculous births, my fish is just glutinous.

Thanks again!

My tank - 10g (planted) - 2 Corys, 2 Oto cats, 1 Rainbow, 1 Killie, and 1 German Ram