PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Honey Gouramis

Ellen4God
01-05-2008, 04:28 AM
I've been trying to find a picture of a male gourami and a female gourami. I think I maaaay have found them...

Male Honey Gourami? ... (more pointed dorsal fin)
http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/fish/honey-gourami-2.jpg

Female Honey Gourami? ... (more rounded dorsal fin)
http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/fish/honey-gourami-1.jpg

~Erik3.8.07~
01-05-2008, 04:55 AM
yup, the first sure looks like a male and the second definitely looks like a female to me

Ellen4God
01-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I had the right idea of what to look for.

nwnittany
05-31-2008, 03:06 AM
What part of the dorsal fin is rounded or pointy ? Just the end of it near the tail ?

Adrian
05-31-2008, 03:10 AM
What part of the dorsal fin is rounded or pointy ? Just the end of it near the tail ?

The top fin, known as the dorsal fin, will be pointy if it is a male, and roundish if female. It will be at the end of the fin, towards the tail of the fish.

nwnittany
05-31-2008, 03:15 AM
Outlander,

OK, got it....thanks..

swales
05-31-2008, 03:19 AM
I have no clue about the sexing of these fishes. I do have two that I recently reunited in a 29gallon. The smaller of the two, started producing bubbles at the surface that day and developed a dark spot on the pectoral fin area. This dark spot changed into the dark line pictured in the first photo. Since then he's been displaying his fins almost constantly and chasing the other around whereas before he was submissive compared to the larger one. The rapid change in coloration and temperament surprised me.

bkargol
09-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Having a slight problem sexing my new Honey Gourami. I have one (what looks like) female with the light silver color and a dark brown stripe. The other is very orange and has a suspiscious blue coloring along it's spine. It's dorsal fin is only slightly more tipped than what I believe is the females.

First question then, is there much of a difference in the tip of the dorsal fin? Such as length? Or is there a prominent difference and a better way to sex?

Second, could the blue coloration on the spine be natural? Or is it definately dyed?

I'll post pictures of them as soon as I find the cord to my camera.

Thanks.