PDA

View Full Version : Jellybean cichlid

tropfish
01-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Well, iwas thinking. my LFS has some jelly beans (bloodparrotxconvict hybrids) i've known about them but haven't found them anywhere. I researched and there's nto alot of info on them. But what i did ggather is that they're pretty peaceful and only grow 2-3" long. I wanted to get one for my 10g tank by itself. I looked on other forums and other posts by members said it would do fine. What do you guys think? there would be plenty of rocks and palnts so he doesn't get bored or course. I personally think it would work out great but i wanted your opinions before i decide.

Drumachine09
01-05-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm pretty sure Jellybeans are dyed.

tropfish
01-05-2008, 01:52 AM
well, jellybean is comonly used for Bp's that are dyed, but they are also BPxcon hybrids. i checked and they're not dyed. theres no unnatural color. they were all ranging from yellow to white. This LFS doesn't sell dyed fish.

Fishalicious
01-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Never heard of a non dyed Jellybean either .. do you have any pics?

tropfish
01-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Here you go. They're usually white or light gold because theyre bred with white male cons and red femlae bp's. It says dwarf, but that's just because theyre naturally small. Theres no dwarf variety. You can definatly see the convict in them tho, same as the lfs.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/dwarf_jellybean_convict_w090.jpg
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/images/thumbimg/422_1.jpg
http://www.aquascape.co.uk/convict4.jpg

Now this is what comes to mind when some people hear jellybean cichlid. this is called a jellybean/bubblegum blood aprrot, and obviously i would never by one. T hese are real blood parrots, not bpxcons, altough they do dye them too sometimes.
http://zfishinc.com/freshwater/Jelly%20Bean%20Parrot%20Cichlids.jpg

Fishalicious
01-05-2008, 02:14 AM
Wooooooo I just threw up in my mouth looking at that last pic...

I have never heard or seen of the ones you are referring to - interesting - I love how you learn something new everyday in this hobby ;) They look like angels (as in real angels)

tropfish
01-05-2008, 02:22 AM
yea, i learn something new every day also. And the last pic really is disgusitng. especially when they take white ones and put lines on them or dots and dye there eyes and mouth.

well, i think that i'll get 1 and keep it with the gourami or 2 and keep them by themselves. that would be a cool tank, but probably jsut 1 by itself, i liek the idea of a little "wet pet" and i don't want any aggression. They're $15 each. BP's and JB's are a little on the expensive side.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 02:28 AM
The jellybean and the bubblegums are often mixed up and thought to be the dyed parrot. But as tropfish said, the jellybean is a cross between the female bp and the convict cichlid.

The male bp is infertile but the female can breed, and does, with the convict and other species.

tropfish
01-05-2008, 02:31 AM
also, since its male con and female bp, most Jellybeans are fertile.

cocoa_pleco
01-05-2008, 02:49 AM
they arent dyed, my lfs is loaded with them. im sure one in a 10g is fine

tropfish
01-05-2008, 02:52 AM
thanks cocoa, i was pretty sure, but i wanted you guys' opinions. It's the perfect fish for the 10g. personable like a cichlid but small enough for a 10g.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 02:54 AM
If the convict is 5 inches and the bp is 6-7 inches, why would their off spring be so small? Some parrots get to 8 inches.

tropfish
01-05-2008, 02:58 AM
i dunno. the website said 2-3 and rarely 4in. The internet has such a wide range of fish things, like with the bp's i've seen max sizes from 6in to 12in and tank recommendaitons for 15g to 55g for one. I'm going to put my topfin 30 on it along with the topfin 10, so i'll have enough filtration.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Gez.....I couldn't stand having my two in the 29 gallon. They seemed happy enough but it drove me nuts. They are in the 55 now with the silver dollars and loaches and being mighty bossy.

tropfish
01-05-2008, 03:17 AM
yea, 2 in a 29g is WAY to little. theres alot of people who have alot of different recommendations about Bp's, but i think that a good rule is 30g for the first bp and 10g for each additional one.

tropfish
01-05-2008, 03:20 AM
what drove me nuts was in the hospital when in the lobby they a 90g (i think 90g) mbuna with like 60 fish and 2 or 3 huge tinfoil barbs. Also, in the smaller waiting room for the department they had a 20g extra high with 2 full gorwn Bp's ( they had quite a bit of black on them, so i think they were a little stressed) also, there was a large pleco and some other misc. small fish. The Bp's were very pretty and playful but i don't think they were too happy. one even had a semi mobile mouth

tropfish
01-05-2008, 03:43 AM
I found a good website about it. theres alot of pics at the bottom along with the size, which says 3-4in, which is still fine.
http://www.kingdom-gospel.com/fish.html

Pr0eve
01-05-2008, 04:28 AM
ok so the jellybeans are ok to buy, but no bubblegums? I am lost after reading the post on dyed fish...

Incredulous_Ed
01-05-2008, 05:24 AM
That's a pretty cool fish. He'll do fine in a 10g.

tropfish
01-05-2008, 06:29 PM
well, jellybean is the name for dyed Bp's and conxbp hybrids, but they can also be dyed. Just look and if they have funky coors or patterns they are dyed. If the name includes painted or bubblegum then it's definatly dyed

Yea Ed they do look pretty cool, i can't wait to get one.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Regarding size in that article of parrot/convict.

Q. What is an adult size for a convict?
A. Convicts generally top out at around 4-5" for males and 3-4" for females.

So.......It very well could reach 5 inches. I don't know Trop. I just don't think 10 is enough room. These are not "stand still" fish, either, but aggressive swimmers and like room to swim. I really, really wouldn't put them in a 10.

tropfish
01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
that's the adult size for a convict not a Jellybean. i would never put a con in a 10g. The site said Jellybeans reach about 3 and at the most 4in, females being on the smaller size. i'll look for a female. it's farely easy to sex Bps and JBs

tropfish
01-06-2008, 04:42 AM
"Size:

The best conclusion I can give for size on these is this: the largest report I have seen is 3-4 inches for the adult. I am guessing the 4 inch would be a male as they seem to be bigger, this is a guess, my male is quickly out growing my female, perhaps because she spent less time eating and more time caring for the young, one reason I have removed her from them.

The size of the babies rivals that of the live born fish like guppies, platy's, swordtails and the like and can be fed crushed flake food.

But the stunted size may be from the chemicals and dyes from being produced in the market. Perhaps the babies will get bigger because they are born and raised without injections and dyes. This is speculation, and I doubt it.

My male is getting to be about 2 inches now. The babies seem to be growing a little slow for my taste, I read you can keep them in 1 tank for a year. Does that mean it will take them a year to reach 1 inch? 1 inch is the reported size they begin to mate too."

this is from the website i posted before.

Hairback357
02-14-2008, 03:45 PM
I have been looking for a few Jelly Beans for a while now for my Daughter's new tank. I have looked all over and so far I have never seen one in person yet. My Daughter likes my pink Convict the most in my tank so I thought this would be the perfect fish for her 20 Gal tank. I have even searched on line for a possibility of having a few shipped here but still no luck for me. Her tank is still cycling but I hope to add these fish to her tank soon. If anyone knows a supplier of these let me know.

KrytterKrys
03-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I have had a pair of the jellybeans for quite sometime now, and they seem to have topped off at about 3" the female slighty larger. They have had mutiple fertile spawns and frequently at that. The female gets a bright orange on her stomach when in breeding condition that almost looks dyed. But fades when out of season. They really are great little fish, and Ive kept the pair in a 10g successfully. They can be pretty aggressive sometimes, but I don't think as much as the convicts. If you where any closer hairback you could have some of mine that Im getting rid of! but AZ is a lil bit to far :(

troy
03-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I have had a pair of the jellybeans for quite sometime now, and they seem to have topped off at about 3" the female slighty larger. They have had mutiple fertile spawns and frequently at that. The female gets a bright orange on her stomach when in breeding condition that almost looks dyed. But fades when out of season. They really are great little fish, and Ive kept the pair in a 10g successfully. They can be pretty aggressive sometimes, but I don't think as much as the convicts. If you where any closer hairback you could have some of mine that Im getting rid of! but AZ is a lil bit to far :(
Year old thread!

cocoa_pleco
03-15-2009, 12:10 AM
threads over a year old