PDA

View Full Version : WOW...you thought you had ALOT of snails???

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 01:20 AM
well i wanted to clean everything in my 33g....so i took everything out and i wanted to swish the gravel around with my hands to get all of the dirt out and let the filter suck it up....so i took most of the snails out of the gravel an di still have ALOT left in the tank.....but just look at how many i pulled out. it is insane. about 100 in that little cup.

cocoa_pleco
01-05-2008, 01:28 AM
lol, thats a puffers dream snack! you should sell them on ebay as puffer food

Algenco
01-05-2008, 01:31 AM
agree with cocoa, I see people selling them for puffer food all the time

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 01:34 AM
nah...too much of a bother. THen i have to package them and then ship them....way to big of a bother. But in the tank i have about 125+ of them. I think that i am going to put a bunch with my lone puffer and some in the fiddler crab tank and maybe some in each of the betta tanks. THen maybe i will put the rest back in to the 33g. lol.

Fishalicious
01-05-2008, 01:51 AM
WOW! One huge puffer lunch and dinner all in one :18:

I am having probs with snails at the mo as well in one of the tanks.. amazing how that all of a sudden just explode sometimes in a tank

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 01:57 AM
WOW! One huge puffer lunch and dinner all in one :18:

I am having probs with snails at the mo as well in one of the tanks.. amazing how that all of a sudden just explode sometimes in a tank
yeah...about 3 months ago i had 3-6. Now i have about 125+ of them...insane...and i have fed my puffers about 30-40 of them...they just keep reproducing like crazy. lol.

shockshockshad
01-05-2008, 02:03 AM
I have only 3 snails! i need some for the puffers I will get! Do you think i could breed them? Maybe put them in the breeding net? lol. But really, would this work? You have so many! How did you get them all?

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 02:04 AM
I have only 3 snails! i need some for the puffers I will get! Do you think i could breed them? Maybe put them in the breeding net? lol. But really, would this work? You have so many! How did you get them all?
honestly...i just left the few in the tank and let them do their business....lol......what type do you have????? they may be to young to lay eggs.

shockshockshad
01-05-2008, 02:06 AM
They are the little ramshorns I think. They are about 1/2 a centimeter long, black, and have a point on their shell. Thats what ramshorns are right?

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 02:10 AM
like #1: http://www.flippersandfins.net/Images/SnailPondA.JPG

or #2: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/4742/graphics/snail1.jpg

or #3: http://naturalaquariums.com/inverts/snailc4.JPG

or #4: http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/SnailRam040313a.jpg

sorry for so many of them.....which one is it???

EDIT - 2 and 3 are the same snail...just different pics and colour.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 02:57 AM
My gawd. I am never going to complain about my snails again.

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 03:04 AM
My gawd. I am never going to complain about my snails again.
lol...i have them in ALL OF MY TANKS....i started out with none. But then i bought a plant (i think hornwort) and divided it up and put it in all of the tank...boom...snail populations goes up...in that pic...its about 3/4 (maybe not even) of all of my snails.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 03:07 AM
I put a jar in mine the other night with a blanched cucumber and caught about 5 but had about 30 on the glass. I thought that was supposed to catch them like crazy.

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 03:09 AM
what alot of people do is put a plate in there and put some veggie rounds or cucumber or something adn they will go onto the plate and then just pick up the plate in he morning.

"the"Trinity
01-05-2008, 03:39 AM
They are the little ramshorns I think. They are about 1/2 a centimeter long, black, and have a point on their shell. Thats what ramshorns are right?

Hmmm . . . sounds more like pond snails there or perhaps malaysian trumpet snails. If they're Malaysian Trumpets, then their hard shells can damge puffers teeth. You preferrably want to stick with Ramshorn or Pond snails. Here's a couple of links, one to Malaysian Trumpets and the other to Pond snails.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails:
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Melanoides_tuberculata.php

Pond Snails:
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/930/55073257.JPG

TT

shockshockshad
01-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh no, they are DEFINATELY pond snails. They are black, and the shells aren't that long. I will try the plate thing. I have veggie rounds, but the cories go after them like CRAZY. Will the snails still go on the plate?

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh no, they are DEFINATELY pond snails. They are black, and the shells aren't that long. I will try the plate thing. I have veggie rounds, but the cories go after them like CRAZY. Will the snails still go on the plate?
yeah they will go on the plate.....how many do you have??? i just picked all of mine out by hand. took me about.....20-30 minutes.

shockshockshad
01-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I have about 3. What I really want them to do is breed.

NickFish
01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Just leave them in the tank. Maybe let a little flake food fall to the bottom for them to eat and they should reproduce like crazy.

Ellen4God
01-05-2008, 06:00 PM
and maybe some in each of the betta tanks.

So, are you just putting them in the betta tank just to have them in there, or for the betta to eat?

Tolley
01-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Haha Squirt thats awesome, i thought i was picking out lots of snails LOL

I currently have an outbreak of ramshorns in my 5 gallon and the outbreak i had more than a year a go has turned out be pond snails.
You learn something new everyday.

shockshockshad
01-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I think i will put my snails in the breeding net. Sounds weird, but it should work!

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I think i will put my snails in the breeding net. Sounds weird, but it should work!
if you do...throw some plants in there so that they have something to lay the eggs on or else they wouldn't have anything to lay the eggs on.

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 10:15 PM
So, are you just putting them in the betta tank just to have them in there, or for the betta to eat?
for fun and for them to eat....they wont reproduce in the betta tanks becasue the bettas will eat the eggs....so they will just eventually die in there...the bettas pick at them.

shockshockshad
01-05-2008, 11:28 PM
I will put a piece of ambulia in there.

squirt_12
01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
sweet....hopefully they will breed for you and you will get lots of little ones.

But if you need some you can probably go to your LFS and if you see some snails like that, without the trapdoor, in their tanks then you can probably ask them if you can have a bunch and they might give them to you...or make a little tiny offer for them. But make sure that they arn't a kind actually for sale though.....lol.

shockshockshad
01-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Yeah, cause those ones get big and just eat your algae right? How long should it take for them to have eggs?

squirt_12
01-06-2008, 01:42 AM
depends on how old they are....but when they start laying eggs....it is impossible to stop them. The eggs take from 1-3 weeks to hatch. roughly in that ball park.

good luck with breeding them :thumb:

shockshockshad
01-06-2008, 02:02 AM
How old would this size be? The size betwwen the l's.....l---l

squirt_12
01-06-2008, 03:57 AM
well just going by my snails.....about 1-1.5 months old. Mine grew fairly slow. But soon they should be laying eggs. No guarantees though as this is a different type of snail as mine.

karbomb
01-18-2008, 11:06 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p22/karbomb/IMG_3580.jpg
the blurs are my fish. all the little off white specs are trumpet snails. i like them though, they don't bother anything, just clean.
i must have hundreds, if not thousands, plus a mystery snail.

squirt_12
01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
lol...yeah thats pretty well what my tank looked like too. lol.

cocoa_pleco
01-18-2008, 11:56 PM
squirt, too bad you dont live here, some guy on a ad is willing to pay good money for ANY type of snail you can sell him, mystery, ramshorn, anything

karbomb
01-19-2008, 01:50 AM
even for mystery snails? where do you live?

cocoa_pleco
01-19-2008, 01:57 AM
edmonton, alberta (canada)

squirt_12
01-19-2008, 02:18 AM
squirt, too bad you dont live here, some guy on a ad is willing to pay good money for ANY type of snail you can sell him, mystery, ramshorn, anything
frag......that would have been awesome....i have like 100s of them.

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2008, 03:40 AM
I put my clown loach in my tank but he was so stressed out in the little tank after two days I moved him back out. I don't think he ate one snail. Just banged into walls and went ballistic.

squirt_12
01-19-2008, 03:26 PM
I put my clown loach in my tank but he was so stressed out in the little tank after two days I moved him back out. I don't think he ate one snail. Just banged into walls and went ballistic.
hhhmmm.....thats weird....you would have thought that he would have atleast ate some of them.

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2008, 04:31 PM
He's been with his pals since a wee baby and I think he was stressed to be alone plus in a 20 gallon. He probably would have eaten them eventually but I felt too sorry for him to leave him any longer.

My snails all come to the water line at night so I go in there every night with a paper towel or net and scoop them up But it's a losing battle I think. Have you tried a piece of soft cucumber or squash in a small jar at night? That might be my next trick. I did it once but didn't keep up with it.

squirt_12
01-19-2008, 04:33 PM
the way i get rid of mine is using my hand and going through and picking every individual snail out. And when i see eggs i squash them with my fingers. Have you took your hand and felt along the corners of the tank??? my snails used to lay eggs there all the time. look there and you might fins some eggs. right on the silicone.

i hope your problem comes to an end.