PDA

View Full Version : Piranha tank

NickFish
01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok one day I want to get a red bellied piranha tank. A big one. As soon as I save up the money and research more about them.

How big a tank would I need to safely keep RB piranhas. Without to much of a risk of them attacking each other.

How would I minimize aggression between the piranhas?

What is a good number of piranhas to keep I've heard that 6 is good to minimize agression but should I go larger than that or smaller?

And how many and what kind of filters are good for say a 125 gallon with 5 piranhas. The tank size can change and so can the number of fish in them.

What do they eat? I've heard of carnivore pellets and flake food and algae wafers and mice and goldfish and beef and pork and occasionally human fingers but what is best for them?

Don't worry about rushing your responses it will be another couple years before I get this tank.

Dave66
01-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Ok one day I want to get a red bellied piranha tank. A big one. As soon as I save up the money and research more about them.

How big a tank would I need to safely keep RB piranhas. Without to much of a risk of them attacking each other.

How would I minimize aggression between the piranhas?

What is a good number of piranhas to keep I've heard that 6 is good to minimize agression but should I go larger than that or smaller?

And how many and what kind of filters are good for say a 125 gallon with 5 piranhas. The tank size can change and so can the number of fish in them.

What do they eat? I've heard of carnivore pellets and flake food and algae wafers and mice and goldfish and beef and pork and occasionally human fingers but what is best for them?

Don't worry about rushing your responses it will be another couple years before I get this tank.

Red bellies reach a foot. You could keep a group of six or so in a 125 (250 would be better, but they like all Piranha are unpredictable. They may get along great for weeks, months or years, and one day, one or more thinks the others in the school are tasty. They also need perfect water and clean conditions.
Stay away from goldfish unless you quarantine them for a month before feeding. Add krill, either frozen or freeze dried, to that diet, to keep the teeth worn and for color. Meat has to be as lean as possible. They might take flakes when small, but adults will probably ignore them.
They'll most likely take NLS as it drifts down like it does. A whole peeled and cored apple would go down like gangbusters, as would most pieces of different fruits. Mine liked shelled walnuts. I'd stay as much as I could toward varied prepared foods as despite all precautions, disease can creep in with live food that you don't culture yourself, and losing six adult, gorgeous red-bellies to disease is a heartbreak you don't want.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
01-04-2008, 11:44 PM
they eat meat, and other frozen foods. you should have 20g to each piranha. the best filter combo would be a fluval 405 canister and a aquaclear 110 HOB

NickFish
01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
What type fo meat to they prefer?
Should I feed twice day or every other day and what would be a good staple?
Could I use any substrate or is there a specific kind that is good.

Dave you have a piranha tank? Would you mind putting up a picture so I can see how I should set up the tank?

Gawd_oOo
01-06-2008, 01:59 AM
They'll eat any type of meat.

But you should stay away from red meat, it is very messy. I have also heard that the fat in red meats is hard for them to digest. Mine get Fish from the super market, Salmon, trout, perch, cod, pretty much what ever is cheap when I go shopping. Sometimes they get Imitation Crap meat, processed fish. FD Red River Shrimp. Random Fruits and Veggies, Mine seem to prefer Bananas over anything else I have tried.

I tend to give them small portions of the above mentioned Items every other day. They also get 25 Feeder Goldfish once a week. I have 2 tanks setup for the gold fish. Feeding from one while the other is acting as the quarantine.

Be prepared they are very expensive fish to feed. For a school of 6 around 4-5" size you can be looking at spending $10-$15 a week to keep them full and calm.

!!!
01-06-2008, 04:25 AM
EDIT: nah nevermind

NickFish
01-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks Gawd.
Is there any pellets you feed them? What do you feed the little ones when they are growing up?
Also I'd like to know about your goldfish tanks. What size are they and do you have any plants or substrate in there?
What type of plants and substrate do you have in your piranha tank?

Gawd_oOo
01-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks Gawd.
Is there any pellets you feed them? What do you feed the little ones when they are growing up?
Also I'd like to know about your goldfish tanks. What size are they and do you have any plants or substrate in there?
What type of plants and substrate do you have in your piranha tank?
I haven't been feeding them any pellets since they stopped eating shrimp pellets. I plan on getting some of the New Life Spectrum Jumbo Fish Formula on my next order (hopefully this week).
I got mine when they were about quarter size, back then they ate flake food as the staple, with some feeder Rosys or Feeder Guppies occasionally.

My Goldfish tanks are 20g one long one tall. They should be bigger. I'd like 29s or 33s. I keep at a minimum a thin layer of standard aquarium gravel in all my tanks, I have a few setup with sand, but I don't keep any bare. I just don't like the look of bare tanks.
The goldfish have gravel and some plastic plants.
If I see any problems in the newly purchased goldfish, they get medicated foods as well as in tank treatments. I haven't seen any major problems with the feeders I have gotten so far.

RBP tank has standard aquarium gravel, Big pile of rocks and driftwood setup with caves and cracks. Lots of plastic plants. The only live plants in the tank are those bulbs you can buy at walmart, name escapes me right now, but mine do real well and have dived, set seed, spread, etc..

NickFish
01-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Do you medicate your feeder fish as soon as you buy them? I've heard of people using melafix on all the feeders they get. How fast to piranhas grow? Also how do you prepare the fish fillets that you would buy at the store. Just raw?

Gawd_oOo
01-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Do you medicate your feeder fish as soon as you buy them? I've heard of people using melafix on all the feeders they get. How fast to piranhas grow? Also how do you prepare the fish fillets that you would buy at the store. Just raw?

Nope, I only medicate if I see a need to.
RBPs grow quick. Quarter size to 4-5" in 6 months.
Yep, just raw. I cut them up into chunks. 3 chunks is a feeding. As they grew I'd make the chunks bigger to match what they eat in a few minutes.
Minimizing wasted food does a lot in keeping the tank clean.

NickFish
01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
would you mind posting a picture of your piranha tank?
It would really help out. What tyoe of foods are good for the small piranha?

Gawd_oOo
01-06-2008, 10:33 PM
would you mind posting a picture of your piranha tank?
It would really help out. What tyoe of foods are good for the small piranha?

I wouldn't mind posting a picture, unfortunately I can't. I only have internet on my ancient laptop. No USB. No CD. No Way to get pictures from my camera or main comp to it.
If I remember I'll bring some pictures with me the next time I am at a more compatible computer.

NickFish
01-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Ok great.
Would bloodworms and NLS be good for small piranha?
Also what type of fruits and/or vegetables would be good for the piranhas?

Gawd_oOo
01-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Ok great.
Would bloodworms and NLS be good for small piranha?
Also what type of fruits and/or vegetables would be good for the piranhas?

Sorry Internet connection has been hard to find lately.

Yeah both would be great for young RBPs.
Fruits and Veggies, you need to try different things and see what they like.
Mine won't touch apples, yet other peoples love it. Mine eat banana haven't heard of others that do.

albonubes
01-13-2008, 09:40 AM
have u tried feeding them fingers? (must be fun trying to move the decor around while they're in the tank)

snapdragon9
02-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I used to have a separate feeder tank, (10 gal for rosies, and small comets) and I used an internal and external parasite guard. But I have found that this is too time consuming, so I took it down. My ronha, receives hikari krill about three times a week. I haven't given them raw fillets or anything of the nature, although a monthly pinky mouse here or there is a good supplement for raw meat.

At the pet store I work at, we feed ours every Friday...large predatory fish do not burn off the calories, (and adds to poor water quality). I perform a 10-25% water change weekly at home and this should remove any unwanted food waste. Piranhas are pigs, and they can tolerate poor water quality, but my advice is to feed them relatively infrequently.