PDA

View Full Version : Green Mondo Grass

richberstler
01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
After buying 2 plants I get home to learn it's not a true aquatic...

Anyone have any luck keeping it submerged?

squirt_12
01-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I have had mine in my 33g for about.....3-5 months now and it is growing great. hasn't died or anything...looks nice and healthy and green.

Incredulous_Ed
01-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Can you get a pic? many plants are mislabeled

cocoa_pleco
01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
ive got some too, i mainly do reefs now so i just chucked in 3 old ones into my 15g long with 25w lighting and 2 mollies and a gourami and theyre growing good

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 12:14 AM
http://aquarium-journal.com/2007/05/green-mondo-grass-ophiopogon-japonicus.html

Not a tank plant but apparently does ok in one if not under bright lights.

richberstler
01-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Can you get a pic? many plants are mislabeled

My puter is being a pain in the arse, can't upload the photo, but if you've ever been to the beach it looks like saw grass. the 2 I bought have a pretty intense looking root system.

I also have this photo compliments of plantgeek.net:

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/mondo2.jpg

SkarloeysMom
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
After buying 2 plants I get home to learn it's not a true aquatic...

Anyone have any luck keeping it submerged?

I've had in my garden before. It spreads like crazy and is hard to kill. I've also seen it at PetSmart in the fish section. Is it the same thing????

Incredulous_Ed
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Well, some oof the grass labeled mondo grass is not aquatic and will not grow, but for some reason, others are. I guess the only thing to do is wait and see how it does.

richberstler
01-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I've had in my garden before. It spreads like crazy and is hard to kill. I've also seen it at PetSmart in the fish section. Is it the same thing????

Thats it. Picked it up at petsmart while grabbing some Ghost Shrimp. I guess if it starts going bad I could stick it in a pot and take it into work lol...

CAN_chic
01-06-2008, 05:31 AM
I believe it is aquatic..I work at petsmart and we keep it under some bright light and it stays pretty dark green and the roots do well off. Now on the other hand, I personally have had bad experience with it, getting covered in algae and then dying off, but I've seen it flourish in other tanks...best bet is to wait it out. All the luck ! thumbs2: