PDA

View Full Version : Uncommon Livebearers

Radio KJ
01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Hello everyone. I'm trying to organise my store a little better, and I'm having trouble with our Livebearer tanks. Simply put, I have two tanks and no idea what to put in them. We have plenty of varied Mollies, Platies, Swords, and Guppies, but I still have these two which I hoped to dedicate to Livebearing fish and no candidates for them. What other freshwater aquarium fish are Livebearing?

Dave66
01-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Hello everyone. I'm trying to organise my store a little better, and I'm having trouble with our Livebearer tanks. Simply put, I have two tanks and no idea what to put in them. We have plenty of varied Mollies, Platies, Swords, and Guppies, but I still have these two which I hoped to dedicate to Livebearing fish and no candidates for them. What other freshwater aquarium fish are Livebearing?

Good, lord, what a can of worms you just opened lol. Lets see Goodieds, Limias, some of the less common Xiophophorus like montesumae, Poecilias, Anableps anableps, Belonesox belizanus, Demogenys pusillus, sheesh, the list goes on and on. Were it me I'd go with a tank of montes, and a tank with one of the pretty and uncommon Poecillias, like nigrofasiciata or ornata.

Dave

spudbuds
01-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Dave, sometimes it's like you're speaking a whole other language, LOL.

Rue
01-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I like the Endler's...Poecilia wingei , if not actually the same species as the guppy...but they have a 'fresher' look to them...

Dave66
01-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I like the Endler's...Poecilia wingei , if not actually the same species as the guppy...but they have a 'fresher' look to them...

Rue,
I recently read that genetically they are quite similar, but the prevailing opinion is all Endler's are guppies, but not all guppies are Endler's, thus they are two different species. Only concern I'd have if someone bought Endlers at a LFS and dumped them in with regular guppies and polluted the strain, because to the public, a guppy is a guppy. Same thing happened to the mollies, platys and swordtails. If you want the unhybridized original fish, you'd have to travel to the original site to find them. I'd give my eye teeth for a dozen undiluted, unpolluted, just as the good lord made 'em Velifera mollies.

Dave

Fishalicious
01-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I had a clutch of the real thing from John Endler himself - he came over to Germany to give a reading at the University and I had mailed with him beforehand and was lucky enough for him to bring some for me as well as for some others via the livebearing association in Holland. He gave an amazing reading on livebearers. They did if I am honest hardly differ from some available in the shops.. If you want Dave I can get in touch with someone who still has line and sells them.

Pretty please people do not keep Endlers with common guppies as they crossbreed and it is such a shame in my eyes.

There are a lot of different wild type Endlers and the Japanese Blue Endlers are my fave - they really glow
http://bp0.blogger.com/_xgnO3_apLXk/RddFY1hM1HI/AAAAAAAAAUA/spf-TtWj98A/s1600-h/4.jpg

Priapella olmecae are also pretty

squirt_12
01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
If you can i would get some Half-Beaks....they look awesome and would probably sell fast...the problem with them is....well i have heard....that they are harder to breed.

EDIT - i have never seen endlers before......hhmmm.

Radio KJ
01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I've considered Endlers, but they're not available to me on any regular basis so I was hoping to find something more common for the tanks I need to fill. I'll look up some of those names Dave suggested to see if there's something I can get when I need to.

Dave66
01-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I've considered Endlers, but they're not available to me on any regular basis so I was hoping to find something more common for the tanks I need to fill. I'll look up some of those names Dave suggested to see if there's something I can get when I need to.

You shouldn't have any problems finding montes, as they are getting more and more popular for livebearer folks looking for something different than the normal sword tail. Folks will gather 'round the tank looking at those guys when they grow up. The Poecilias I mentioned MIGHT be on the list, but you might have to look at another wholesale list or two to find them. P. ornata with its black and yellow spots is a neat fish. Plus is they nor the montes are that difficult to keep.

Dave