PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Mollies

Faith_at_Large
01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Is sexing Mollies anything like sexing Platys? I just aquired a Dalmation Mollie and two very white Mollies. I think they are all female, but the whole tank looked the same and I doubt that they would have thirty or so females and no males.

Also is it better if I add more aquarium salt to my aquarium? I currently have only a minimum added for health, but not to make my water saltier in general. I have never kept Mollies before but I understand that they like a higher pH than other fish types and my local water tends to run a little high - about 8.1.

And my Mollies look a lot like my Platys, and seem to be picking at my ornaments and walls - do they eat algae like Platys do? I can add more green to their diet if they would like that.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Faith_at_Large
01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
It seems that my new Mollies at my work tank love brown algae, they have been picking the walls clean, and the heater, the filter intake and the fake plants and ornaments - anything that might have anything growing on it. And the big Dalmation Molly is a pig - eating whatever food I put into the aquarium. This is the first time where a new fish did not wait a day or so before eating. Two white Mollies are picking on each other and chasing each other around the tank, but not constantly - they do leave each other alone to eat algae.

NickFish
01-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I think it is the same as sexing platies.
The male has a gonodopodium and the female has an extra anal fin.
Mollies are very good cleaners of algae.

Rue
01-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Yes, the sexing is the same...

However it IS agreed that mollies do best with higher salt levels in the water...