PDA

View Full Version : Planting plants

richberstler
01-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Just needed to vent a little... I can't understand how these plants survive in the wild if they don't freakin stay rooted in an aquarium!!!! lol

Every week it seems I'm replanting. Most of my Ludwiga seems to have taken good hold, but this Cabomba is driving me silly. I'm guessing it's mostly due to my low light levels (about 1w/g). Guess that will be my next upgrade since the holidays are done.

I do want to thank everyone who suggested Seacem Flourish, because it does seem to have made a big difference.

whew, i feel a little better now. Back to what you were doing, there is nothing to see here :c9:

smaug
01-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Cabomba stands no chance with less the the best light.1wpg is not enough.Even with good light you will constantly be replanting it,ludwigia is very similar in its demands.Also you can try those lead planting clips,I use them.Mostly you need lots more light.

zeon
01-04-2008, 05:39 AM
Well I went and bought some plants told the girly I wanted hornwart. I get home did not really think about it but she put in Cabomba.(the colored kind) I have it in less than 2 watts per gallon..like one and a two thirds watts per gallon. It si doing okay. None of the leaflets are falling off. It is not 'thriving' by no means but I use Flourish as well. Four seperate sprigs of it by mistake. She is a dummy to say the least and me a dummy for not checking and trusting her. I do know that when I get the higher lighting for my larger aquarium it is going in there.(which should be this next week or so) But back to the original problem of it not staying planted. Mine stays planted fine and I do not anchor it. I even have new roots growning on the stems. Am I silly or what?

Dave66
01-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Cabomba stands no chance with less the the best light.1wpg is not enough.Even with good light you will constantly be replanting it,ludwigia is very similar in its demands.Also you can try those lead planting clips,I use them.Mostly you need lots more light.

Smaug is dead right. Great substrate and at least 4 watts per gallon of full spectrum light is necessary to keep ANY of the Cabombas (or any stem plant, actually) compact and healthy long term. Even caroliniana, the most common and easiest to keep, needs that much light.
It also takes time (a week or two) for a stem plant to anchor itself in the substrate.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
01-04-2008, 08:46 PM
cabomba is a tough plant. I am having trouble with it in my tank with right lights and good substrate, good ferts, etc.