PDA

View Full Version : aaand another question!

Ellen4God
01-03-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm going to be getting my honey gourami at the beginning/middle of next week. I'm getting it at a lfs that actually has two of them, both in a community style planted tank that they usually don't sell fish from. They get the fish in this particular tank from people who are moving or just don't want their fish anymore, so they generally don't sell these fish. However, I talked with the guy, and he said that he would sell me the honey gouramis.

I have a 10g tank that has 6 long-finned zebra danios in it right now. I'm planning on the honey gourami and 2 otos (I'll get the otos later on).

I was wondering if it'd be over-crowding if I got both of the honey gourami for the tank. I've read that there can be aggression problems with gouramis, so I would set the tank up in such a way for both to have their own spot or whatnot. I have live plants coming to me in the mail, so the tank will also have those as hiding places and such. With proper water changes and such, will it work to have the two honey gourami?

~Erik3.8.07~
01-03-2008, 11:08 PM
i think you can do it, they do already live together now, how big is the tank at the lfs?

Ellen4God
01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
It's pretty big with a pretty big mixture of other fish. It's like a tank they would keep their fish in to sell basically, they just have plants and a mixture of fish in it.

Tolley
01-03-2008, 11:17 PM
If they're both males probably not, male and female possibly yes.

~Erik3.8.07~
01-03-2008, 11:20 PM
It's pretty big with a pretty big mixture of other fish. It's like a tank they would keep their fish in to sell basically, they just have plants and a mixture of fish in it.

i ask because if its big enough a couple of male gouramis could go in with no problem, but with a smaller tank i would not risk it and try and find out if those gouramis are male or femal. You can tell by the dorsal fins, males will have a much more pointed fin while female dorsal fin are more rounded

gm72
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't recommend keeping 2 males in such a small tank. I think it would be a recipe for disaster.

NickFish
01-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I agree with gm, while you could put 2 males in I really wouldn't recommend it there is just too much potentail for something bad to happen. Male and female probably ok.
Be sure to ask how long the honeys have been there.

Ellen4God
01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Alrighty. I'll watch them for awhile when I'm there and see if they're male or female. Thanks for the tips!!

But, if one was male and one was female, and I did get both, the tank would be okay?

gm72
01-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Most likely yes.

MeganL3985
01-04-2008, 01:31 AM
I have a 20 gallon with two males and had to completely redo the tank for these two to get along. 10 gallon is a bit smaller.....especially with zebra danios in there. If its male and female or two females I would go ahead and try it. But two males it would be risky. Maybe you could set up and arrangement for the guy to take them back if they dont work out? That way you have some sort of a plan for them.

gm72
01-04-2008, 01:32 AM
I don't really like the idea of taking a fish home with a large possibility of having to subsequently take it back to the store. What a terrible stress on the fish, yes?

MeganL3985
01-04-2008, 01:35 AM
I do agree.

shockshockshad
01-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Just so before you do buy them, to make sure they are a male and a female, I found this:
Females:
Usually larger and plumper, honey's have a brown horizontal stripe, short rounded dorsal fin
Males:
Long pointed dorsal fin, smaller and more slim, usually much more vibrant in color.

I actually found this on another forum. Someone from OUR forum here posted it! I think it was Msjinkdz. Yeah, that was him! The person with the mohawk!

MeganL3985
01-04-2008, 01:44 AM
I actually found this on another forum. Someone from OUR forum here posted it! I think it was Msjinkdz. Yeah, that was him! The person with the mohawk!

Thats a her, not a him. :thumb:

Ellen4God
01-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. I made a note of asking about how long he's had them in the tank and to find out their sexes. One was relatively smaller than the other. I'll talk with the guy about it some, see if he'll make a deal about bringing one back if I need to. Thanks for the help!!!

Ellen4God
01-04-2008, 02:01 AM
I don't really like the idea of taking a fish home with a large possibility of having to subsequently take it back to the store. What a terrible stress on the fish, yes?

Yes, I agree. Very good point. Nix that idea. lol I won't get both unless I know for sure that I'll be getting a male and a female.

shockshockshad
01-04-2008, 02:24 AM
THAT'S a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? Look in the mugshots thread, and you see this person has a buzzcut and a pink and gold mohawk. if thats a girl, just...woah

Ellen4God
01-04-2008, 02:30 AM
THAT'S a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? Look in the mugshots thread, and you see this person has a buzzcut and a pink and gold mohawk. if thats a girl, just...woah

I'm thinking maybe that's her son or something. lol