PDA

View Full Version : Algae Destroyer Advanced

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Anyone use this stuff? I got a bottle at walmarts today.
It says :
Kills many types of algae including string and hair algaes
Safe for plants and fish.
Helps resolve algae problems
Effectively controls green water aglae blooms.
Reduces aquarium maintenance
Keeps tanks fresh and clean

Do not use with crustaceans, shrimp, crabs or lobster.

Does this mean it will kill my snails????????

Glad I got the stuff now after reading these reviews.

http://reviews.petco.com/3554/13766/reviews.htm

Faith_at_Large
01-05-2008, 01:12 AM
If you are trying to kill unwanted snails this may not be the best way to do it, but if you have wanted snails you might want to remove them during the period of time you are using this product and then put them back in after three days of non-use with effective filtration to remove the last bits of it. I cannot tell you if it will kill them, but it might make them sick or very miserable (and possibly kill them), check also if this affects scaleless fish if you have any.

I had mystery snails and will have some again later this year, and they can be kept in a tank (or big jar) without filtration, heat or aeration - so long as it is not for an extended period of time - just make sure that they have room to come up out of the water if they want to and that there is a lid to keep them from excaping entirely. This is a short term solution for when using meds that are harmful to them.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 01:16 AM
I don't want these snails. These are that plant eating poops that come on the plant roots. Nasty things that they are.

tropfish
01-05-2008, 02:02 AM
i used it. once i had such bad greenwater i couldn't even see 1in into the tank. i used it and withing 2 hours it was crystal clear, i was amazed. I also used it once after i got a bunch of green algea all over my ornatments, once again cleaned it up right away. I only used it twice tho, because i believe in curing the problem with proper husbantry rather then chemicals. I didn't have any inverts so i can't hlep you with that, but it didn't harm my fish or paltns at all.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 02:30 AM
I used it last night and see no results today but I have very little aglae, only a bit on my ludwigia. I just think it's better to try it than tear everything out like I did last week! I know this couldn't have hurt my plants like the bleach did.

Algenco
01-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I've heard it doesn't work. Spot treat with excel

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 05:34 PM
LOL I'm trying to see if it will kill my snails, too. I actually didn't see as many this morning but chances are it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Rue
01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I don't think using chemicals as a last ditch resort is wrong...and if it clears up the problem quickly...good!

I've noticed from my community tank, once I got rid of the green algae with the particulate clumping stuff...I had no more green water!

OscarFan
01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
If it does kill the snails Im getting some

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
It appears to do great on green water problems and if it works on hair algae, that would be a plus. Not that I have it but I may one of these days. I would like to get on top of the problem and then when things are clear, rethink what I was doing that caused the problem in the first place.

What I did that caused MY problems was doing a huge water change, forgetting the dechlorinator which set my tank back to a mini-cycle. Algae just loves ammonia and nitrites. My stupid, stupid mistake cost me a ton of work and a loss of several plants.

The moral of the story is.......don't work on too many tanks at once because you just might forget something important!!!!!!!!!!

!!!
01-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Do not use with crustaceans, shrimp, crabs or lobster.

Does this mean it will kill my snails????????
[/URL]
it would prally kill the snails too, or any fish without scales.

Lady Hobbs
01-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Just to update........snails are still reigning supreme. Algae Destroyers didn't put a dent in them.

jttt3
01-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I took my own approach to algae and the snail problem I had when i brought plants in:

Chinese Algea Eaters = Cure to algea problem ^_^
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/cae.jpg

I added two, and I have had 0 algea since I did, and all the snails died of starvation. what's great is that they stay fairly small too. I've had mine since I set up my 29g and they are only 4 inches long, and I've had them for a while now.

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/
Article near the bottom.

I haven't had any problems with aggression at all, and I have 2 in a 29 gallon tank, but if you have any slow moving fat bodied fish, like this article says, don't touch em.

I always hate to put anything designed to kill something in my tank, just feels wrong. =\