PDA

View Full Version : Cycled 55 gallon

NickFish
01-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Woohoo tank is cycled!
Ok my 55 gallon is finally cycled I tested it a few days ago but just to make sure I waited a few more days and now it's time! Everything is perfect as far as water parameters go and I have plenty of fake and live plants, hiding places, I'm not using too bright a light and even so I have a nice shaded part of the tank.
So in celebration of this event I gathered up my credit cards and went down to the petstore. I picked up some frozen mysis, frozen blood worms, and some NLS pellets. I also got a 15 gallon on sale for $15 and decided to upgrade my fry tank. (I want to use some kind of substrate now that I have a bigger fry tank. Should I use sand or gravel?) After much observation I picked out 3 female agassizi apistos for the 55 gallon. I plan to get 5 more females and then introduce 4 males. Got the females home and I think they are doing well in the tank. I turned the lights out and they are hiding in the shaded area.
I know I will probably have apisto eggs soon so my question is what exactly do I do with them? I can move them into the 15 gallon as soon as it's cycled if nessesary and my lfs will take them if I run out of room.
Can't wait to get the tank fully stocked!

Ellen4God
01-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Woohoo tank is cycled!

Just wanted to say congrats for having your tank cycled!! My 10g just finished cycling as well..w00t!! :19:

fishfanatic33
01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Congrats on the tank!!! In regards to the fry,I would leave them with the mom until they are free-swimming,then siphon them out to the fry tank

YaYgoldFish
01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Siphoning them will stres them too much, just use a net.

For the 15g- use sand. If you have gravel the fry may go under them looking for food and get stuck, then drown there.

Gongrats on everything!

I sort of laughed when you said "gathered my credit card"S" " lol.

NickFish
01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
For the 15g- use sand. If you have gravel the fry may go under them looking for food and get stuck, then drown there.
Is there any particular type of sand that is good?

Gongrats on everything!
Thank You!

I sort of laughed when you said "gathered my credit card"S" " lol.
Ya lol my fish buying card, my tank buying card, my fish food buying card, and my tank maintenance card. Soon I'm getting a tank stand card

Just wanted to say congrats for having your tank cycled!! My 10g just finished cycling as well..w00t!!
Yay! You and me are cycling buddies!

NickFish
01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Would it be possible to put some cories in the tank withthe apistos? I doubt this could be possible but maybe somebody has done it succesfully before.

kkevvy
01-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Apistos are generally friendly fish. People house neon tetras with them, and I'm keeping my 3 juvenile platys, 3 kuhli loaches, and dwarf gourami when I get my pair of apistos.

NickFish
01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Would it be possible to fit a school of 8 black skirts or 8 neons with them? I will have 12 apistos total when it is done. Overstocked?

kkevvy
01-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Depends on your filtration. With good filtration, no, its probably okay. 8 neon tetras would act as dither fish and draw out the apistos.

Also, make sure you have plenty of caves for the apistos. Pots work good.

Ellen4God
01-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Yay! You and me are cycling buddies!

w00t! Exciting stuff! I'm getting the gourami for my tank tmw...